Walstad help!! ( long post?)

Hey guys, I wanted a cheaper method to start my first tank and decided to use dirt. In hindsight I should have done much more research but very late now, I put load of dirt in, (more in the back because I wanted that slope 😕 )Not only is there lots of dirt, but my gravel cap is thin. This tank is about 4 months old, I have fish and shrimp in the tank, and also established plants. I can’t get afford more plants but my nitrates are high even after constant water changes. Any advice ? Thanks xx

Some floating plants and or pothos should help. They should suck up all the excess nitrates. Since you used "raw" soil without going through the mineralizing process all the organic matter in it is decomposing and producing ammonia which is then getting converted by your beneficial bacteria. It might be a good idea to monitor ammonia levels in addition to nitrite and nitrate until everything stabilizes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

I personally do not like duck weed it blocks to much light. I grow frogbit and I really like the long dangling roots and the interconnected portions.

Frogbit can cover the surface as well, both plants will only block as much light as you let them. I'm with you on the dangling roots, IMO they are nice looking and fish like the cover.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1

Hair picks and combs are great for removing Duckweed. In two of my utility tanks I run the Eheim nano skimmers, without foam, to suck up and dice Duckweed. I can stage plants and wood in there to move to a new tank and dispose of the hitchhikers.

I am stuck with Duckweed in two 2.5 gallon shrimp tanks because my plants and wood extend out of the tank, so there is no real way to deal with the surface completely. It is fine because the shrimp love it, but I have to use the hair pick about once a week, and then put it in a clear bucket to check for fry.

There is a turtle tank at one of my schools where I hope to be able to bring my Duckweed.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

More important than nitrates, keep an eye on the formation of hydrogen sulfide in the thickest part of the substrate exspecially if the plant density is not very high. H2S is toxic to animals and smells really bad. Before each water change, poke the substrate to have a controlled release of the gas and to oxygenate the substrate.  

• Thanks 1