Crushed coral for raising pH

Bailey

I have ANOTHER pH question! I want to add a snail to my 5 gallon planted betta tank, but from what I understand, low pH can be tough on snails, particularly their shells. My pH is currently 6.4, due to the fluval stratum I have as substrate. I was thinking of using crushed coral to raised the pH as recommended on another thread by a member here, but I have a few questions. 
Can I put the crushed coral in the filter instead of in the actual tank, so it's not visible? I like the way the stratum looks and I'd prefer not to have it on top if possible. 
Second, how quickly will the crushed coral raise the pH, and is there a way to control how high it goes? I don't want to raise it too quickly and hurt my fish, and I don't want it to go too high. 
mans any snail recommendations for a 5 gallon (I would prefer it not be able to reproduce) would be appreciated also! Thank you! 

Edited by Bailey

15 minutes ago, lefty o said:

a more neutral ph will be more friendly to a snails shell. as for adding coral, you could bag it and put it in the filter housing, or bag it and hide it under substrate, or mix it in the substrate.

Thanks! Will it raise the pH gradually enough to not harm the fish?