Any tips or tricks for fish tank odors?

Will Billy

So i got some new fish food. They are bottom feeder protein pellets, and they have increased the fishy smell of my fish tank. So i was wondering drawing on experience from our community here, if anyone had any cool, neat, tips or tricks for reducing fish tank odors? I know the obvious is to add activated carbon to filter media, but thinking outside the box, from wall plug in fragrance dispersers to who knows what else, might be a fun topic of conversation. 

When I was doing blackwater, my tanks were pretty smelly. So I removed any extra material covering the tanks to allow more fresh air to enter around the surface. Within a few days, the tanks smelled normal. I even cut out the plastic holding the glass lids together.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I would take a paper towel and clean the entire top black rim of your tank where the lid would sit. Surprising how sometimes that adds quite a bit to smell.  Some foods do have a smell to them. I never notice it really on just 1 tank. But I do notice it on a whole fish room. New Life Spectrum garlic blend is really noticeable in a whole fish room. And most hikari foods I can smell it also, not necessarily bad, just noticeable on the hikari.

I have two 20 gallons in my room with tons of plants and sometimes they get a little smelly if you don’t keep up with some of the smaller chores as Cory mentioned. What I have heard from some local people that have fish rooms is that they will hang car air fresheners up on the air vents to sorta mask the smell. I have tried this and although it does work, you’ll need the bigger air fresheners. Not the little square ones with the clip you have to put on yourself but the ones that I found that really work are the ones that are in a plastic looking jar with a string attached to them. I’m sure there’s tons of different ways but that one works for me

Edited by CJz Fishes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJz Fishes said:

What I have heard from some local people that have fish rooms is that they will hang car air fresheners up on the air vents to sorta mask the smell.

Thats thinking outside the box, what a fun idea. I might try that trick. 

• Like 1