HELP! Advice on transferring fish to new aquarium

KateInTheCity

Hi everyone! I would love a little insight if you have successfully done this in the past. I currently have a 100gal with a couple of comets and 3 common Plecostomus. Please don't scold me for having common pleco- these were given to me and I have a few larger tanks and a pond to keep large fish. That being said, they are currently in a non-heated tank that stays around 68F. I want to put them in a larger heated tank that I keep at around 76F.  I could bag them, float them and then transfer them but I'm not sure if this would be the best method. It is an 8 degree jump in temp and I don't want to shock them. What are your experiences in transferring from a non-heated to heated tank? 

going cold to warm isnt too bad. form warm to cold you need to acclimate. imagine yourself jumping into a hot tub, no problem right. now imagine it's warm out and you jump into a cold lake, breath taking isnt it? fish react about the same.

dont worry, no one here will scold you for having a common pleco. this is not that kind of forum. it is good you know what you have, and what it will be in the future, and even better you have places to put it when it grows.

Edited by lefty o
  • Like 3