Please suggest me a light for medium light plants

I've been reading and watching a lot of videos about aquascaping, planting, etc. and I'm learning a lot. However, there is a lot to learn and so many options to choose from. I'd very much appreciate your opinion what are some *good* options for a light for a tank with these specs: 30" wide, 18" tall, 12" depth. I'll be growing plants that require medium light. TIA!

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I have had good luck with Finnex Stingray's in a 40 gallon breeder:

image.png.3a0bfed17ada79373781e535ccee33

Here are the results of testing the strength and quality of the light in the tank above (two 36 inch Finnex Stingrays at 16 inches):

453803818_wholescreen.PNG.2403749754068e63adda4ae97bd8eb02.PNG

is the last picture made with a seneye? if not what are you using? 

Edited by quirkylemon103

Thanks a lot Daniel! How much "PAR" do you think you'd get at the bottom with just one light?

Also, what plant is that in the picture? Can you tell me what substrate and/or fertilizer you use and how well did the plant do?

Edited by JohnT

I've used the Nicrew 24/7 automated light. Its worked out great for me when growing plants. I would recemend to turn down the brightness and take it off the 24/7 mode instead get something like the Kassa Wifi Light timer to control your lights. I didnt do this at first and I had green water coming back all the time.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PFHD1G1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Sounds like you have a standard 29. I think in the inexpensive department the common options are beamworks, hygger 957, finnex, fluval aqusavy (about 2x expensive). If you are willing to spend $$$ I'd recommend chihiros wrgb 2 or alternatively fluval 3.0. For medium light plants in a low tech tank I think the finnex, beamworks, hygger 957, ... will work fine and these lights are a lot less expensive - ~$50 vs $200....

From readings these inexpensive light have quality control issues and sometimes you will get a dud so buy from a place where it can be exchange or returned. The fluval 3.0 have a history of being extremely reliable but they are quite expensive for what they offer. I personally have wrgb2, fluvals and onf flat+ (not a good for for a 30 inch tank). I played with the less expensive fluvals and have not liked them - this is a visual thing as they lack the fuller spectrum range of the 3.0 but i prefer wrgb 2 over the 3.0 - again this is a visual thing though the wrgb 2 is also abut 1.5 brighter which works well on my 120.

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

Thanks a lot Daniel! How much "PAR" do you think you'd get at the bottom with just one light?

Also, what plant is that in the picture? Can you tell me what substrate and/or fertilizer you use and how well did the plant do?

The plant is dwarf Sagittaria. That tank has 1" Black Diamond blasting sand capping garden soil from my asparagus bed. I don't otherwise fertilize that aquarium. I also have a couple of other aquariums, one with CaribSea Peace River sand and another with Eco-Complete that do get a little Easy Green and the dwarf Sagittaria in both of those aquariums is doing well also.

I think this is the measurement with only 1 light:

1265791485_parandluxstingray.PNG.439730182d9f0ca84b764ae5c104a1bf.PNG

• Like 1

Hey folks, I just got gifted a 54" corner tank and I'm thinking that I'll need to discard everything that I had planned, given the characteristics of the new tank.

This new tank is much more deeper and wider. The lid that came with it is similar to this  one: https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqueon-glass-top-54-gallon-bowfront-29654.aspx . 

I want to grow a carpet on this new tank with dwarf baby tears. I saw Cory review of Fluval 3.0 which seems to be the light that everybody like.. BUT.. the PAR that he measured on the 3.0 is lower than the 2.0. So my question is: What do you recommend for a 23" deep tank?