I do not have firsthand experience with these cool-looking fish because my tank is on the small side. 

Aquarium Co-Op published a YouTube video that covers water quality, temperature, food, flow, tank size, lighting, tank mates, etc. I cannot remember if it mentions when they are most active. 

Here is another.

You can see the loaches scurrying around in the tank. So, if I had to guess, I would say they are diurnal (active during the day). 

Edited by Anita

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

Are Hillstream’s active at night? Trying to make sure these guys eat enough. Also Will they feed on vegetables?

They do eat vegetables, Repashy and sinking pellets and wafers.  I am feeding mine extra at night because the barbs that mine are with are such voracious eaters—so I worried about them getting enough food.  And the suggestions that I got were to feed them when the lights go out.  I know they go about in the day too, but a lot of bottom feeders eat day and night.  Keeping anubias plants with them is really good for them too, because they apparently grow a good amount of biofilm for them to eat.  Mine hang out in these plants all the time.

I just wish I could see in the dark myself so I would know for sure that the Hillstream loaches are eating and that all the food I put in there at night isn’t just going to blossom my snail population!😬

4 hours ago, Anita said:

I do not have firsthand experience with these cool-looking fish because my tank is on the small side. 

Aquarium Co-Op published a YouTube video that covers water quality, temperature, food, flow, tank size, lighting, tank mates, etc. I cannot remember if it mentions when they are most active. 

Here is another.

You can see the loaches scurrying around in the tank. So, if I had to guess, I would say they are diurnal (active during the day). 

Yes I saw the video. But don’t recall them eating vegetables. What I’ve read online is blanched spinach, kale, etc. and that they were diurnal. Just wanted someone to confirm.

4 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

They do eat vegetables, Repashy and sinking pellets and wafers.  I am feeding mine extra at night because the barbs that mine are with are such voracious eaters—so I worried about them getting enough food.  And the suggestions that I got were to feed them when the lights go out.  I know they go about in the day too, but a lot of bottom feeders eat day and night.  Keeping anubias plants with them is really good for them too, because they apparently grow a good amount of biofilm for them to eat.  Mine hang out in these plants all the time.

I just wish I could see in the dark myself so I would know for sure that the Hillstream loaches are eating and that all the food I put in there at night isn’t just going to blossom my snail population!😬

Yep I feed mostly Repashy. But I too have some boisterous eaters I call my sharks in longfin zebra, leopard danios and Orange van rio tetras. I have nerites so no snail problems. I saw online they’ll do blanched kale, spinach etc. Maybe zucchini? I need something in there that will last long enough for them to get to it. My Kuhli loaches generally take care of anything left over at night. 

Mine love zucchini. I recently put both a raw piece and a blanched piece in at the same time. The raw piece was preferred. I have panda garras who also love the zucchini so I cut the zucchini in long strips to cut down on bickering. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tamitha said:

Mine love zucchini. I recently put both a raw piece and a blanched piece in at the same time. The raw piece was preferred. I have panda garras who also love the zucchini so I cut the zucchini in long strips to cut down on bickering. 

Good deal, I’ll do that.

For what it's worth, I have only had mine for about a month and a half and I've only seen one out of three of them of them actually eat ONCE.  They are coming out more during the day for me in the last week or so, so I'm thinking that maybe they take a while to settle in?  I put repashy in at night several times a week, and I am assuming they eat then since they seem to be doing well, have plenty of energy, and are not skinny.  There's also plenty of algae on the side and back of the tank for them--thought they might've cleaned that up by now!

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

Yep I feed mostly Repashy. But I too have some boisterous eaters I call my sharks in longfin zebra, leopard danios and Orange van rio tetras. I have nerites so no snail problems. I saw online they’ll do blanched kale, spinach etc. Maybe zucchini? I need something in there that will last long enough for them to get to it. My Kuhli loaches generally take care of anything left over at night. 

Cucumber or zucchini on a fork work well.  The fork makes it sink so no need for blanching.  I tied fishing line to the handle of a fork, so I don’t have to get my arm wet when I want to retrieve it.  Cory showed a fish wholesaler who used sweet potato, I think it was. But I haven’t tried that yet.  I just don’t want veggies which disintegrate too quickly so they would affect my water quality.

7 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

Cucumber or zucchini on a fork work well.  The fork makes it sink so no need for blanching.  I tied fishing line to the handle of a fork, so I don’t have to get my arm wet when I want to retrieve it.  Cory showed a fish wholesaler who used sweet potato, I think it was. But I haven’t tried that yet.  I just don’t want veggies which disintegrate too quickly so they would affect my water quality.

Good idea, I’ll do that

20 minutes ago, KaitieG said:

For what it's worth, I have only had mine for about a month and a half and I've only seen one out of three of them of them actually eat ONCE.  They are coming out more during the day for me in the last week or so, so I'm thinking that maybe they take a while to settle in?  I put repashy in at night several times a week, and I am assuming they eat then since they seem to be doing well, have plenty of energy, and are not skinny.  There's also plenty of algae on the side and back of the tank for them--thought they might've cleaned that up by now!

10-4, thanks!