Looking for help on removing green hair algae in my 40g I don't yet have fish in the tank just plants. Been cutting my lights down from 8hr to 6hr a day as to make sure my plants still get plants of light. No natural light hits the tank. I know there are plenty of fish and invertebrates that can help just not sure which would be the best for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

Looking for help on removing green hair algae in my 40g I don't yet have fish in the tank just plants. Been cutting my lights down from 8hr to 6hr a day as to make sure my plants still get plants of light. No natural light hits the tank. I know there are plenty of fish and invertebrates that can help just not sure which would be the best for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Siamese algae eaters are terrific for green hair algae. Mine cleared it up in several days. The only downside to them is that they can get a little aggressive during feeding and with each other.

They get like 6" correct? Cuz that's way bigger then any fish I plan on adding to my tank as I'm doing all nano fish. To bad there isn't fish rental lol

2 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Siamese algae eaters are terrific for green hair algae. Mine cleared it up in several days. The only downside to them is that they can get a little aggressive during feeding and with each other

1 hour ago, Krakens_tanks said:

New tank?

5 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

Yes. Set it up about a month ago added plants over the last 2 weeks. Been using easy green and root tabs. Most plants are doing great but the hair algae is growing like crazy on my Christmas moss.

It's normal. There's a period when the bio filter is establishing and you will see a cycle of algae come and go. Let your bio filter develope and keep up clean water. Manually remove it if it's keeping lights off the plants. Stay the course.

Have you started fertilizers? What's your substrate?

7 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

It's normal. There's a period when the bio filter is establishing and you will see a cycle of algae come and go. Let your bio filter develope and keep up clean water. Manually remove it if it's keeping lights off the plants. Stay the course.

Have you started fertilizers? What's your substrate?

Substrate is 3 parts Fluval stratum 1 part black diamond blasting sand (sand on very bottom.)

Ferts are easy green and co-op root tabs.

18 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

Substrate is 3 parts Fluval stratum 1 part black diamond blasting sand (sand on very bottom.)

Ferts are easy green and co-op root tabs.

I've never used stratum, but if it leeches ammonia, you could back off Easy Green a bit. But if it doesn't, dose lean till the plants start to take off.

Edited by Mmiller2001

2 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

I've never used stratum, but if it leeches ammonia, you could back off Easy Green a bit. But if it doesn't, dose lean till the plants start to take off.

The only thing about stratum is it's just a good planted soil made with volcanic ash with a ph buffer. And I have multiple plants that are doing great actually even after only 2 to 3 weeks. My brazilian pennywort and java fern and one other plant I absolutely can not remember the name of lol. Only plant struggling is the crypt Wednii but I'm attributing that to melting as it's the newest plant.

6 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

The only thing about stratum is it's just a good planted soil made with volcanic ash with a ph buffer. And I have multiple plants that are doing great actually even after only 2 to 3 weeks. My brazilian pennywort and java fern and one other plant I absolutely can not remember the name of lol. Only plant struggling is the crypt Wednii but I'm attributing that to melting as it's the newest plant.

Sounds like you are on course then. Should resolve on it's own.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krakens_tanks said:

They get like 6" correct? Cuz that's way bigger then any fish I plan on adding to my tank as I'm doing all nano fish. To bad there isn't fish rental lol

Yeah that is what a lot of internet sources say. In my experience, they only grow to around four inches max, usually a bit smaller.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Yeah that is what a lot of internet sources say. In my experience, they only grow to around four inches max, usually a bit smaller.

I remember in one video cory mentioned buying them then returning them once they get big like a rental program lmfao

• Like 1