Selling Plants - prep work for buyer satisfaction?

MattyIce

I have not sold any plants ever, today I trimmed my Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan', got about 30 decently rooted propagations:

IMG_7421.jpg.de5126f1ba35bbd5508ab9f330a0552a.jpg

Assuming I have some one that already wants to buy them at a fair price, are there are any extra steps I can take, for example, hydrogen peroxide/bleach dip, low light period for any possible algae, or with the way I package them that will leave the buyer with as pleasant an experience as possible?

I say as long as you are upfront with a buyer as far as any hitchhikers that may be included, I wouldn't worry too much about a bleach or peroxide dip. I always put in my ads when selling, may have snails and or eggs, algaes, baby shrimp etc. 

As for packing, I've received plants packed all sorts of ways, but generally as long as you pack them so they don't get damaged and protected from extreme temp swings, you should be good.

• Like 1

I use Alum like @Irene and Select Aquatics recommends. 

"To remove organisms, snails and snail eggs, soak the plants in water dosed with 3 tablespoons of alum per gallon of water for 2-3 hours. Alum is not best for killing Algea."

I found it to kill snails and keep nasty things out when giving plants to others. Just don't do it for long with too sensitive plants. I killed few floating plants letting them stay for long. 

Edited by Chandra
  • Like 2

I would not dip them in anything either.

My favorite way to get plants is this:

Bare root, completely wrapped in a damp paper towel or two, in an inflated bag with a few tablespoons of water in it, in a shipping box--I get both terrestrial and aquatic plants shipped from all over the country. Potted plants are harder, but generally if the bag is inflated, the weight of the plant will not do any damage to itself. They arrive damp and healthy and ready to grow.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 2