Show me your planted, African Cichlid setup

My fiancé has seen the light!  I’m getting rid of the sofa to make room for a 75gal. I want to upgrade/expand my current cichlid setup and want to add live plants. I know I’m somewhat limited due to cichlid habits and pH, but understand it can be done.

Inspire and educate me!  I’m a visual person, so would love to see your photos. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ererer said:

20H with 6 juvenile Julidochromis ornatus, waiting until I can setup the 55g Tanganyikan community tank, hopefully this weekend. Just anubias and corkscrew val for now.

IMG_20210326_115711.jpg

Good looking plants, what's the substrate you have in there? And where did you get these rocks?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fishdude said:

Good looking plants, what's the substrate you have in there? And where did you get these rocks?

Rocks came from the rock pile in my yard. Substrate is CaribSea Aragonite, I plan to mix it with pool filter sand once I setup the 55g tank, the aragonite/crushed coral is too white for my taste. I didn't grow the plants out in that tank, both were procured at a recent local club auction. We'll see how they adapt to the harder water/higher ph.

1 minute ago, ererer said:

Rocks came from the rock pile in my yard. Substrate is CaribSea Aragonite, I plan to mix it with pool filter sand once I setup the 55g tank, the aragonite/crushed coral is too white for my taste. I didn't grow the plants out in that tank, both were procured at a recent local club auction. We'll see how they adapt to the harder water/higher ph.

The anubias should be fine, I can tell you I took a few anubias over to the new fishroom space about 9ish months ago and put them in a tank with super hard water and they're still fine. I haven't even really been fertilizing them (and the green water in the tank made me want to give up hope).

12 minutes ago, Fishdude said:

"I'm getting rid of the sofa to make room for a 75gal" is the funniest and best thing I've read today. "We don't need furniture we need tanks." True dedication and I applaud it.

Glad I could give you a laugh!

He’s 6’9” tall, never used the sofa anyway because he’s too tall, and neither of us like it either. It was at 2nd hand... if not 6th... and served its purpose when I needed it to. It will be a bit before it actually gets hauled out and memorialized via bonfire, though, so in the meantime I’m looking for inspiration. I was on the “I guess I’ll settle for a 29gal planted community tank” train until he surprised me with his epiphany last evening. 

12 minutes ago, ererer said:

@LaurieinIA What cichlid species are you currently keeping, and what do you want to keep with the upgrade?

African cichlids. I would transfer my current, smaller, setup/stock into the 75. Maybe add a couple fish.  Basically just give them more room and add live plants to make it more interesting/visually pleasing.  

3 hours ago, LaurieinIA said:

African cichlids. I would transfer my current, smaller, setup/stock into the 75. Maybe add a couple fish.  Basically just give them more room and add live plants to make it more interesting/visually pleasing.  

Sorry, I meant what species of African cichlids (if you know the species). There are a lot of different species of African cichlid, several hundred at least. Any pictures of your current tank?