Invert ID Help!

missriss126

Noticed several of these guys in the bottom of my bucket after doing a water change. This 55g has been set up for 8 months, is planted, with top fin black sand and caribsea flora max substrate, some driftwood, and rock. 

Never had any issues with pest snails, and all of these plants have been in the tank from the beginning. Have a few Nerite and 2 mystery snails in here though. 

What are they? Should I be concerned? They are all this size or smaller. 

61301331-8F50-43A1-B99A-78AF0700B82D.jpeg

Hi, they look like a ramshorn snail to me. If your being worried about them overpopulating they only populate to the amount of food in the tank. Cory has said in his top 5 Shrimp, Snails, and Crabs video that pest snails will populate to the food supply, so if there's enough food that 400 snails can live that's how many you're going to have. They tend to eat algae, and have the same behavior as most other snails. @H.K.Luterman has a tank of them and breeds them so they will probably be able to give better advice then me. 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

4 minutes ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Hi, they look like a ramshorn snail to me. If your being worried about them overpopulating they only populate to the amount of food in the tank. Cory has said in his top 5 Shrimp, Snails, and Crabs video that pest snails will populate to the food supply, so if there's enough food that 400 snails can live that's how many you're going to have. They tend to eat algae, and have the same behavior as most other snails. @H.K.Luterman has a tank of them and breeds them so they will probably be able to give better advice then me. 

I don’t believe they are rams horn, I have rams horn in a different tank, and even the teeny tiny ones are much wider than these. These are quite thin, almost a flat spiral. 

If they all stay that small and when they are on the glass their shells flop over to the side, you have mini ramshorn snails. They are my favorite because they are so insignificant you rarely notice them, and lots of fish like to eat them.

• Like 1