CA Dad

Would you recommend adding plants to an aquarium first, or stocking it with fish? Concern: disease and medications  

I have a cycled 20 gallon that is ready for life. I plan to add fish directly into it as there is nothing from which they need to be quarantined (other than the disease-free aquarium itself). If I add fish that end up requiring medication, then it is better to medicate an aquarium without living plants in there, correct? So, fish, and then plants, and then quarantine each future new fish before adding it to the community? Or, plants, quarantine fish, and then add the  first fish to a planted tank after they have been quarantined?

• Administrators

I like to have plants established first. Depending on what meds, some are plant safe. Having a way to quarantine fish outside of the display tank is a good practice to have if you can afford it/have the space. Its only a matter of when something becomes ill, not if, in a fishkeepers hobby.

Thanks, Cory. I do have a 10 gallon I can use for fish quarantine. I have a recent order of plants from you, so none of them have established roots in their current home. Will any of them stand up to medicine: Cryptocorne Wendtii Green, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Anubias Barteri, Christmas Moss (floating ball and bridge), Java Fern?