I think I have decided on fish, what do you guys think?

mgudyka

Hi all,

My tank is still cycling so i have lots of time to really consider my decisions, but I would love some feedback! I am working with a planted 29 gallon tank. 

I think I have decided on getting neon dwarf gourami as my "showcase" fish (and they tend to hang out towards the top right?) I don't know what the fancy technical terms but my middle tier fish would be ember tetra. My bottom dwellers would be some sort of cory. I am kind of partial to emerald cories but panda cories are also really cute. I would love to also have kuhli loaches. Since they are nocturnal, would it be a big deal to have two bottom dwellers?

I don't know what quantity of each type of fish, but what do you guys think of my future line up?

Also! Do I have enough plants/cover for a neon dwarf gourami in my set up right now or should I get more?

20210314_195239.jpg

6 minutes ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

My San Juan Cory's (8) and my Kuhli loaches (5) get along fine in my 75 gallon. My Kuhlis are not as nocturnal as the experts say they will be. They do danger noodle circles on the end of the tank all afternoon.

IMG_20210218_195428232.jpg

The idea of having my own little danger noodles is so appealing and I want them very much. Some other folks have tried to recommend other loaches, but like, what's the point of loach if not kuhli (since my setup isn't big enough for dojo)?

27 minutes ago, mgudyka said:

Hi all,

My tank is still cycling so i have lots of time to really consider my decisions, but I would love some feedback! I am working with a planted 29 gallon tank. 

I think I have decided on getting neon dwarf gourami as my "showcase" fish (and they tend to hang out towards the top right?) I don't know what the fancy technical terms but my middle tier fish would be ember tetra. My bottom dwellers would be some sort of cory. I am kind of partial to emerald cories but panda cories are also really cute. I would love to also have kuhli loaches. Since they are nocturnal, would it be a big deal to have two bottom dwellers?

I don't know what quantity of each type of fish, but what do you guys think of my future line up?

Also! Do I have enough plants/cover for a neon dwarf gourami in my set up right now or should I get more?

20210314_195239.jpg

Gourami: The only problem that arises with your stocking plan is feeding. All too frequently I have had male gouramis (dwarfs and currently a pearl) attack my Corydoras during feeding time, despite being peaceful otherwise. They will nip at the cories and drive them away from the food. So I found that they are not compatible tank mates. An alternative option would be a much more laid back gourami like a sparkling gourami or honey gourami. Female dwarf gouramis also might work.

Corydoras: Also, what kind of emerald cories are you referring to? If you are talking about Brochis splendens, they will unfortunately get too large for a 29 gallon, topping off at around 4 inches. But if you are referring to Corydoras aeneus, they would be a fine option for consideration, as they only get about 2-3 inches. Like you mentioned, panda cories would also be an excellent choice.

About the kuhli loaches: Both Corydoras and kuhli loaches are extremely peaceful, and won't harm any other of the tank's inhabitants. They would co-exist nicely together, especially in as much room as a 29 gallon. The only thing to keep in mind is feeding a sinking wafer or two after dark if your loaches are too scared to come out during the day. I would go for around 5 cories and 5 loaches in your overall stocking plan.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

7 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Gourami: The only problem that arises with your stocking plan is feeding. All too frequently I have had male gouramis (dwarfs and currently a pearl) attack my Corydoras during feeding time, despite being peaceful otherwise. They will nip at the cories and drive them away from the food. So I found that they are not compatible tank mates. An alternative option would be a much more laid back gourami like a sparkling gourami or honey gourami. Female dwarf gouramis also might work.

Corydoras: Also, what kind of emerald cories are you referring to? If you are talking about Brochis splendens, they will unfortunately get too large for a 29 gallon, topping off at around 4 inches. But if you are referring to Corydoras aeneus, they would be a fine option for consideration, as they only get about 2-3 inches. Like you mentioned, panda cories would also be an excellent choice.

About the kuhli loaches: Both Corydoras and kuhli loaches are extremely peaceful, and won't harm any other of the tank's inhabitants. They would co-exist nicely together, especially in as much room as a 29 gallon. The only thing to keep in mind is feeding a sinking wafer or two after dark if your loaches are too scared to come out during the day. I would go for around 5 cories and 5 loaches in your overall stocking plan.

Re: gourami - I guess I will have to look into honey or see if I am able to get a female dwarf

Cory - sounds like panda it is!

Kuhli loach - is it true they might eat my snails? Because if yes I will be moving them to a different tank

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Like 1

I had a Dwarf flame gourami a long time ago in my first tank. He was fine for about a week and then went on a ravenous rampage I woke up to a half dead male guppy with no tail on the bottom. He was fine with the platys only because they could escape he ate the fry though. My experience with honey gourami's on the other hand has been wonderful ive kept them with otto cats corydoras and rummy nose tetras with no problem.

10 hours ago, b_ball34 said:

I had a Dwarf flame gourami a long time ago in my first tank. He was fine for about a week and then went on a ravenous rampage I woke up to a half dead male guppy with no tail on the bottom. He was fine with the platys only because they could escape he ate the fry though. My experience with honey gourami's on the other hand has been wonderful ive kept them with otto cats corydoras and rummy nose tetras with no problem.

But is that because the guppies are flashy? Do you think my cats can break up the fights while I am not home? Haha 

9 hours ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

I wish Kuhlis would eat my snails! 😂 I haven't seen them touch any from the smallest bladder snail to a golf ball sized mystery snail.

Oh good. Then my nerite snails will be fine. I think I recently got hitchhikers from some plants I received recently so maybe I *should* invest in a snail eater. Pea puffer?