Temp fluctuations

RovingGinger

I have one 6 gallon nano that currently is fluctuating about 10 degrees (72-82) between day and night. It’s lit with a 75 watt bulb and the inhabitants are sparkling gouramis and blue velvet shrimp. 

Should I switch the light and go with a heater instead? Or force my husband and sibling to endure a 78 degree house? 

4 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

I have one 6 gallon nano that currently is fluctuating about 10 degrees (72-82) between day and night. It’s lit with a 75 watt bulb and the inhabitants are sparkling gouramis and blue velvet shrimp. 

Should I switch the light and go with a heater instead? Or force my husband and sibling to endure a 78 degree house? 

@RovingGinger The smaller aquariums do fluctuate more, but even 10 degrees is not the worst I've seen, given your stated temp range.  

A 75 watt incandescent (old style)? 

Do you have good water flow in the tank?

Are the fish being affected?

If it was me, and was going to do it, I would switch out the current light to an LED and add a small heater.  At least you may have better luck with temp regulation that way.

Just my $0.02

10 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

Ok water flow I think? Nano sponge. Yes, 75 watt incandescent grow light. 

I can’t tell if the fish are impacted so far but I think for safety’s sake I’ll do that. Is 50 watt safe enough that if it goes it won’t fry them?

@RovingGinger Did the aquarium come with that 75 watt bulb?  I see many folks putting larger, than what the socket is rated, wattage bulbs everywhere and accidentally melting things or even starting fires.  

I personally run an Aqueon 50 watt heater in my 5 gallon without any problems.  It seems to regulate the temp without an issue.  Of course, you can go smaller.  I believe what is recommended for heaters is 5 watts per gallon, etc.

If it were me I wouldn’t worry about the + or - 5°F temperature change.

I just got some sparkling gouramis also and they are the cutest little buggers! So curious, and that little croaking sound is wonderful! I can’t wait till they breed. They are definitely a strong candidate for the 1930s tank. They’re in the book, so they are legal.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

I scored this batch from my first ever aquarist club auction. Unfortunately the tank I have them in is very overgrown so I can’t even see them most of the time. They’re incredibly charming but manage to disappear entirely from sight so easily. Working on that today...

You already have the lid for the tank so they’d be quite happy. 

22 hours ago, RovingGinger said:

I scored this batch from my first ever aquarist club auction. Unfortunately the tank I have them in is very overgrown so I can’t even see them most of the time. They’re incredibly charming but manage to disappear entirely from sight so easily. Working on that today...

You already have the lid for the tank so they’d be quite happy. 

They seem pretty happy. One of the males made a bubble nest yesterday and today there are eggs in the nest.

• Like 2

I'd never heard of sparkling gouramis until someone mentioned them here on the forum. I did a little research and watched some videos on them. I'm considering them for my 10 gallon, when I can rehome the red-tail Botia. My water temp sits at 74 most of the time. Sounds like that might work for them. Any recommendations on how many to get for a 10 gallon? And sorry, @RovingGinger, not trying to hijack your thread! 🙄😬

They are feisty amongst themselves, but do not bother the other fish in the tank at all.

The number you can put in a 10 gallon might be a little dynamic. I might start with as many as 5 juvenile fish in a 10 gallon tank. But once they mature a bit, they'll start to get territorial. At that point one or two will probably be the max. If there are a lot of plants and the less dominant fish can hide, maybe more than two perhaps.

I wanted to watch them breed and listen to them croak, and they've done both already. The aquarium that they are in has hydra it and though they are reputed to be very good at eating hydra, so far I've given them lots of mosquito larva and Daphnia and I don't think the hydra rate a second look.

They are in the same family is about as bettas, and everything about their demeanor and activities totally reminds me of bettas. And because it's still so novel, when they do their little croaking sound, my heart sings.

• Thanks 1