Internal Power Filters

Streetwise

There are all sorts of styles of filters. I think it would be valuable to have threads that focus on each type.

Let's share some of the internal power filters that we have used in the hobby. I like them for my small tanks when I want small units that also provide directional flow.

• Like 1

I just took a couple of interesting filters out of storage to put in my 20 gallon: Tunze Comline Filter 3161 units. Each has an output pump on the bottom, with directional and output flow control. Water enters through the back bottom of the unit, travels up over an internal overflow, and into a chamber where one or two skimmer pieces can be used. Then the water travels down through a piece of foam, with optional filter floss above it. This makes it shrimp and fry safe in terms of access to the impeller. The rear input chamber can fit probes or small heaters. The filter is mounted via magnets.

To clean it, you simply pull the foam out from the top, without removing the filter. For best operation, you have to maintain a consistent water level, and tune the pump output. I have replaced the internal foam with AquaClear 20 foam, which is larger and more coarse.

I have not seen other freshwater hobbyists using this. It may be marketed more towards the marine hobby.

https://www.amazon.com/Tunze-Comline-Nanofilter-3161/dp/B08467QF29/

Here is a photo of the boxes, filter floss, extra skimmer units, and lids.

D311F8C7-833C-4D3A-9AAD-C90BD2DDB440_1_201_a.jpeg.6de9dbfec43ac840699c6a8556fe4fed.jpeg

Edited by Streetwise
Details

I have not been a fan of internal filters in the past, but have seen several Youtubers praising them and their use in bigger tanks. I usually use canister filters or bigger hang on back filters as my primary biological/ mechanical filtration with Co-op sponge filters as my secondary filtration (all on USB hubs with 48hr battery backup attached).

In my 125, even with 2 sponges and a large power head, I kept getting build up in a dead spot in the corner so I decided to try the one Ben O'chart uses in his 150. It's a 3 stage filter, power head and aerator by eXpertmatic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081YJMRM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kE0sFbMNKSV89

I love this thing, it's a really good filter. Each compartment has a coarse sponge and a center chemical filtration section. It draws a lot more water through vs an air stone driven sponge, circulating way more water, and a ton of bubbles.  Cost is 30 bucks, and for the money you can't beat it. I think the 2 USB pumps and 2 sponges cost more than the internal. I have since purchased 2 more and have plans for at least 1 more.

So for bigger tanks, I'd say they make excellent secondary filtration (for all us redundancy nerds) and a great water polisher. I don't know that I would use them on my smaller tanks, but only because I don't have any issues with them I think it would help with. I could see using them as the primary filtration on smaller tanks instead of hang on back filters, might try it out if I get any new tanks set up. 

• Like 1

@Streetwise, I have some internal filters in my smaller aquariums.  They do an 'okay' job for what they are.  Actually, I like the fact that if they do leak, there's no place for the water to go, but back into the tank; so there's that.  You can 'hot-rod' almost any filter out there, so there's that, too.

I have noticed many different ones on the market today. Many look interesting, but hard to beat my Aquaclear's.   it's good to try different products for various applications though.  

• Like 1

I needed to get better flow in my 120. Since this tank is built into a wall my options were limited. I found the Marineland Magnum on sale on Amazon. It solved the flow issues and with it’s polishing insert all the small suspended material in the water column has been cleaned up. This unit even handled the filtration by itself when the impeller in my canister crapped out and I was waiting for a replacement. 

• Like 1

Sicce Shark isn't bad but the suction cups on it really stink. I like that its compartments are connected by magnets so working on it is a breeze. In my 75 I have ran two types. One the Marineland internal canister filter/polisher. As a polisher it wasn't bad but your constantly replacing that crazy filter piece. I ran it as its second option with a poly sleeve around a fluted tube that contained Eheim bio substrat. Currently I have that filter shelved atm. The one I'm still using is a Eheim internal filter when Petsmart used to sell it under the Nat Geo line. Cool thing with this is you can attach the Ehiem prefilters to it.So my unit is like 15" in height with sponges and Eheim bio substrat. As long as you keep up on the sponges the unit isn't bad. The main gripe I had was the suction cups like Sicce really suck. However I was able to attach a magnet holder from a Reef power head to the the top of this filter so it will basically forever hold its place in my tank.

• Like 1

The primary internal power filter in my kit is the Top Fin MF10. I have cut my own outflow tubes and swapped-in AquaClear foam. They are very useful for sending flow to specific places, while still just doing basic foam filtering. Cat for scale.

1DC19A5D-AECE-45C0-84ED-D561A58D8CA8_1_201_a.jpeg

8784011B-CF4D-491E-BFFB-FE826C18DA6B_1_201_a.jpeg.54a791dfa0cbd45f15afea4a87e1bd0c.jpeg

Edited by Streetwise
Photos
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I am working on combining the right-angle powerhead flow of the MF10, with all the exposed foam of a sponge filter or sponge pre-filter.

Totally unrelated, I need a deeper lift tube for the Eheim Classic 150 on the turtle tank, and the optional kit I bought is for larger tubing.

I was randomly browsing PetSmart, looking at the selection of black silicon tanks, when I got a pattern-match on this Easy Water Change Electronic Pump. It looked like it could solve both problems, giving me an internal pump with vertical exit, and vertical intake with plastic pre-filter.

IMG_1908.JPG.5a05cb9f770d0681a3723eeb6c7263bd.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG.8a01d571424ab97fcb6b73c84af7cf04.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG.f53e58abf8bfc10030e4a9a4271ae925.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG.873f9a1ee8a2b798d06c104b660d48fe.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG.264ff83f34562af47ce759cf591b135f.JPG

The final photo is the hybrid mounted on the side of one of my 2.5 gallon tanks with a glass divider for one chamber. I would have to remove one of three foam pieces, to let it fit at the height shown.

The goal is to move water from one side of the tank to the other, and let the in-tank flow head past the glass and into the pico-sump. I am doing this with the MF10, but it only takes in water from the bottom.

Now to test, and size a pair of larger Co-Op Coarse Foam Pre-Filters. If I can find thinner tubing with the same external diameter, I might be able to get a shorter fit.

I'll also bring the the corner piece and lift tube to the turtle tank, and try to adapt them for the canister intake.

I love finding alternate, and unintended uses for various products.

Cheers

Edited by Streetwise
Photos
  • Like 1