Finally seeing changes with my water after testing but now what?

mgudyka

9 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

First off, welcome to the fun world of aquatics! It's a fascinating science + art + pet-keeping +DIY + business mix of a hobby. 

The leftmost test (high range pH) indicates a fairly high pH (somewhere between 7.8 and 8.2 would be my guess). You can compare this with the normal pH test (blue bottle). The API kit doesn't come with a GH or KH test (you have to buy that separately) but that will be helpful for interpreting how stable your pH may tend to be. IF your GH (General Hardness) or KH (Carbonate Hardness) are _low_ then your pH will tend to be more unstable, and it is advisable to add crushed coral to your tank. If it is high, your water may be good for certain plants and fish, but may stress out other fish. 

The next three tests in order -- Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate -- are all part of the nitrogen cycle. When waste occurs, or a fish dies, there is an ammonia spike. Aerobic bacterial colonies must be developed (in a filter) that can consume Ammonia and convert it to Nitrite. Another stage in that cycle is when bacterial colonies convert nitrite to nitrate. In a perfect eco system, you'd have enough plants to suck out the Nitrate completely. But because we rarely populate our tanks with enough plants, it is typical to have to "change water" (i.e. use a python, etc) to lower the Nitrate levels. 

It appears that your tank is beginning to cycle. However, for healthy fish, the Ammonia readings are too high and the Nitrite is too high. You can try boosting your bacterial colony by adding a beneficial bacterial surge liquid. Fritz makes some good products as does Dr. Tim's. But the best way is to get bio from another tank (e.g. move over an established sponge filter), or change water in from another tank, etc. You should probably wait until you register zero Ammonia, and Zero Nitrite if you want to give fish a really good environment. 

Now, one thing that is important to check is your source / tap (or well) water. Test the water out of your faucet. It may have Ammonia in. That's important to bear in mind. We use "Fritz Complete" to both detoxify chlorine / chloromine and to detoxify Ammonia all at once. 

One thing I definitely have not done is checked my tap water. Or tested for gh or kh. I have more work ahead of me!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mgudyka said:

Hi! 2 weeks, no fish, just some snails, and lots of plants.

I think you have already come to the right conclusion, let it ride. You have seen some ammonia so the cycle has started, I wouldn't even bother to test again for a couple weeks. Rushing the cycle doesn't seem to work, and testing it all the time doesn't do anything but make you want to mess with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darkG said:

I found that frequent testning helped me get a picture of the process. But then I enjoy nerding for the sake of nerding. ☺️

That would be a good excuse for me to test frequently because of obsession, but I need to relax a little 😊. You would think the anticipation of fish could be settled down by my mammal pets, but nope!