Yesterday morning I noticed my bronze and my albino's, ahem* behavior. The day before I did a water change... so eggs!

444822080_ponyonsosuke.jpg.b594bc20e4027605dcbca1574096685a.jpg     Dad: Ponyo, albino |    Mom: Sosuke, Bronze 1779709202_sosukexponyoeggs03_09_2021.JPG.fe51814c4aefbb6be8dca4b78bf7d0a9.JPG

Background: I have had the bronze momma, Sosuke, for over a year now. She is my veteran Cory. Parents don't have favorites, but her and I go way back. So, needless to say, I love her.  The albino is a more recent addition to the community tank. In the past Sosuke has laid many clutches, but none have been fertilized, guppies get them before I can, novice attempts and / or that darn fungus kept them from hatching. This time the albino and bronze have been doing the famous T and eggs were laid immediately after so I know these are valid eggs. 

91038699_sosukexponyohatchtank03_09_2021.jpg.09d7d217a6ee98abc34baff1a69b6146.jpg

To save them from my hungry guppies, I decided to move them to a hatch / grow out tank. This was my first time saving majority of them and using methylene blue, so I am hopeful. 

I ordered an egg tumbler, but needed to move the eggs sooner than it's arrival.

*Should I move them to the egg tumbler or leave them be in the "hatch tank"?

I plan on 50% water changes daily til hatched then 2-3x/week for the hatched fry. 

What are your experiences with Cory breeding?  

• Like 4

Wow that is one big bronze cory! I am always fascinated by the sizes that female cories can get. Like my female peppered cory for instance, got way bigger than I was told they get. For comparison see the fully grown venezulean cory male above her.

764878137_FeedingFrenzy2.JPG.b6860f9c8eeed254a22d9ee65d204594.JPG

Anyway, she's laid two batches of eggs for me, with a male peppered cory who has unusually long fins (I think he may be some sort of long-fin variety or something). The first batch was around 10 eggs, and I put them in their own 1/2 gallon container with an airstone. Unfortunately, all the eggs got fungus and turned white. As I was about to throw away the container, I noticed a tiny little baby cory wriggling around in there, so I added it to the 29 gallon community with the rest of the other cories. Surprisingly, it survived and it now has grown bigger than its father (I think its a female). The next batch of eggs was much bigger, like with over 40 eggs. I followed the same procedure, and surprisingly, I got around 30-32 fry. They stayed in a breeder basket for a few weeks until I noticed some dying from getting trapped under the edges of the basket. So I added them all in to the 29 gallon. This is one of my most regretted decisions I've made in fishkeeping. Over the course of several weeks, we didn't see any at all. Eventually, only three out of the 32 made it. On the brighter side, they are growing fast still and love to play together and with their family. Mama peppered cory hasn't laid any more batches since, even after I've tried the cooler water changes and also fattening up with repashy and other high quality food.

So yeah that's my experience with peppered cories. I would appreciate any other advice you fellow cory breeders have on the matter. One of my albino females and the male venezuelan have attempted to lay clutches around five or more times, but the eggs are never fertilized.

Anyway, great cories, and good luck with the eggs!

• Like 2

Good luck with your babies! I have been raising a group of 20 for the last several months and it has been a lot of fun. Mine were raised on fry powder and supplemental microworms until they were large enough to eat live BBS and since then, that's been their primary food source.

Biggest challenge I had was making sure they could find what was being fed to them in the first few weeks. I had fatalities in a 10"x10" cube but none after moving them to a marina breeding box. After watching several rounds of eggs hatch I've also developed the opinion that they won't hatch with the light on. Mine always hatched on the sixth day after lights had gone out.

Here are the babies:

PXL_20210301_200405285.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

are perhaps an anime or studio ghibli fan?

Yes, to both. 😊 My community tank is a mix of Studio G characters and Naruto. We've just always named our aquatic animals after anime and our reptiles after food. Lol

23 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Wow that is one big bronze cory! I am always fascinated by the sizes that female cories can get. Like my female peppered cory for instance, got way bigger than I was told they get. For comparison see the fully grown venezulean cory male above her.

Yeah, she's a tank. We figured she was a female with how much larger she was - then laying eggs confirmed it. Her and 3 others live in that tank and they are small compared to her. 1 masked, 1 green, 1 albino and they're all small compared to her about half her size. So, I am assuming they are all male. 

• Like 1

Update: 

I added the methylene blue Tuesday night and did a 50% water change last night. Today, at water change, I am going to remove the unfertilized eggs. Majority of them seem to be beige, no sign of fungus. 🙂Although, I'm nervous that I might not be able to identify them correctly and pull the wrong ones. Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, SkarahW said:

Yes, to both. 😊 My community tank is a mix of Studio G characters and Naruto. We've just always named our aquatic animals after anime and our reptiles after food. Lol

I'm curious do you think Naruto is okay to watch with a 12yr old? 

Edited by quirkylemon103

22 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

I'm curious do you think Naruto is okay to watch with a 12yr old? 

oh, 😅haha. We watch it with our 14 year old. And my husband lets our 6 year old watch it with parental guidance. 

UPDATE: 

BABIES!!!!!!!!

I went on a LFS crawl yesterday with the fam to pick up some supplies for the fry tank. Came home late at night and found the fry had hatched!!! They were getting to zoomed by the diffuser I had in there, so while I was doing the daily water change - I switched out the diffuser for a corner sponge filter. Pictures to follow. 

• Like 1