Betta Fin Rot - HELP!!!

FrozenFins

I have a betta named hugo who develped some finrot a little under a month ago, I treated it fully (at least I thought I did) and it was all good for a few weeks. 2ish weeks ago he develped some finrot, I have not been able to treat this finrot and it has been getting really bad. 

He is now at the point where all he does is rest on the bottom of the substrate. He will spass a few times a day (I really don't know how to explain it, but its like he is having a seizure, and has no control over his body) I hate it when he does it. He does not eat either.

Here is what I have been trying to do to treat it:

• I have done multiple salt treatments, all at different ratios. The only one I saw improvement on was 1T a gallon Ratio, I saw improvement on his fins for a day, and several days later, its only worse.
  • Salt Baths

I live in Canada and so many of the meds that are availble in the USA, I simply don't have access to. 

I really, really need tips or advice! I really want this guy to live a longer happy life (I have only had for a little over a month) and it seems that he may die.

He is now semi floating at the top of the tank, constantly gulping at the water surface:

I don't want to continue with salt treatment as he hasn't been responding positivley with it and I haven't seen much improvement.

PLEASE, LITTERLEY ANYTHING HELPS!

WATER PARAMTERS:

Nitrate: 20

Nitrite and Amonia: 0

I do daily waterchanges

Edited by JamesB

Hi, I would probably cut back on the amount of water changes to every second or third day, unless your nitrates would otherwise keep climbing. (For example if you do a water change on Monday hold off until Wednesday) since you don't want to stress him out. Apart from that just good food, if he'll accept it, plenty of dissolved oxygen. Maybe keep the lights out if you can so that he feels a bit more comfortable. If you can tannins might be the next best thing to salt and meds, plenty of hiding spots would probably be good too. Good luck to you and Hugo!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

3 minutes ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Hi, I would probably cut back on the amount of water changes to every second or third day, unless your nitrates would otherwise keep climbing. (For example if you do a water change on Monday hold off until Wednesday) since you don't want to stress him out. Apart from that just good food, if he'll accept it, plenty of dissolved oxygen. Maybe keep the lights out if you can so that he feels a bit more comfortable. If you can tannins might be the next best thing to salt and meds, plenty of hiding spots would probably be good too. Good luck to you and Hugo!

I leave the lights out, the only reason why I did daily water changes was so that I could lower the amount of salt in the water before adding salt.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

• Like 1

As you tryed salt treatment and you don't have access maracyn I read about using hydrogen peroxide to treat fin rot recommended  dose is 1ml of  3% hydrogen peroxide solution per gallon for 8hour@JamesB

Edited by Colu

So your cry for help prompted me to do some research in diverse books I have on hand about Fish Health including those by Dieter Untergasser, and a few by Dr. Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell, and Dr. Neville Carrington.

If it is regular fin rot it would be caused by bacteria like  Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, and Flavobacterium and for treatment they list salt first, and if that doesn't cure it they then recommend antibiotics, or similar antibacterials.

When I looked a bit further it was also listed under possible side symptoms for Wasting Disease, or Fish Tuberculosis, which are  an infection with acid fast bacteria such as Mycobacterium, or Nocardia. Treatment with drugs like sulphafurazole, doxycycline, and minocycline are mentioned but also that they have to be prescribed by a vet and that it seems almost cost prohibitive, and of course they mention euthanasia if the fish doesn't improve.

I hoped I would have found more uplifting news for you and I pray against this disease and that your betta will recover, I've been there, I too, as most fishkeepers at some time or another, have kept bettas, and experienced their distinguished personality and had my heart broken when they got sick and died. I know there is a reason why I can never fully get into reading these books on fish disease and treatments, too many emotional memories.

In my years I have had a few different careers, as a photographer, a soldier, a language teacher, interpreter/translator, and as a nurse and I have seen a lot of disease and ugly wounds but to see a child, a loved one, or beloved pet suffer is the worst, and it leaves you feeling helpless and breaks your heart.  I'm sorry I probably wasn't any help.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

So your cry for help prompted me to do some research in diverse books I have on hand about Fish Health including those by Dieter Untergasser, and a few by Dr. Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell, and Dr. Neville Carrington.

If it is regular fin rot it would be caused by bacteria like  Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, and Flavobacterium and for treatment they list salt first, and if that doesn't cure it they then recommend antibiotics, or similar antibacterials.

When I looked a bit further it was also listed under possible side symptoms for Wasting Disease, or Fish Tuberculosis, which are  an infection with acid fast bacteria such as Mycobacterium, or Nocardia. Treatment with drugs like sulphafurazole, doxycycline, and minocycline are mentioned but also that they have to be prescribed by a vet and that it seems almost cost prohibitive, and of course they mention euthanasia if the fish doesn't improve.

I hoped I would have found more uplifting news for you and I pray against this disease and that your betta will recover, I've been there, I too, as most fishkeepers at some time or another, have kept bettas, and experienced their distinguished personality and had my heart broken when they got sick and died. I know there is a reason why I can never fully get into reading these books on fish disease and treatments, too many emotional memories.

In my years I have had a few different careers, as a photographer, a soldier, a language teacher, interpreter/translator, and as a nurse and I have seen a lot of disease and ugly wounds but to see a child, a loved one, or beloved pet suffer is the worst, and it leaves you feeling helpless and breaks your heart.  I'm sorry I probably wasn't any help.

Jungle Fan just writting a response was helpful! THANKS SO MUCH