SURPRISE! Corydora Fry?

KaitieG

My son has always been the most observant person in our family, and I just got a yell that "MOM!  There's a fish in there!"  He was looking at our "empty" QT tank-it's been fish-less for over a month, but I've been periodically putting in a pinch of food here and there to keep the cycle going (and it has snails...like everything else!).  Sure enough...there's not one, but TWO little squiggly babies!  Now I'm going to have to go watch the tank to make sure it's only 2!

The last fish QT'd in there were a pair of guppies and a group of corys. These aren't guppy fry--I have plenty of those to compare them to, so they must be corys!  They even squiggle swim like the adults. The pics aren't very good, and it's all fake plants in there--set up to function rather than for beauty!  One's about 3/4 inch and the other is maybe 1/4 inch.

I have an order of (maybe still alive) loaches coming from AquaHuna on Monday, and they're supposed to go into this tank for QT/Recovery.  Should I move the fry to the QT tub with swordtail fry, or to the 95 gallon tank with their parents, guppies, and guppy fry?  Where would they do best? 

20210306_144506 (1).jpg

20210306_144618.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

I always love hearing about surprise fry like this. It’s kind of a wonder how they survived usually too. I would think the safest place for them would be with the swordtail fry unless they are big enough to make a meal out of the cory fry.

I did exactly NOTHING to help them along, but it IS really exciting!  I'll take an accidental success over an accidental failure any day!  🙂  

In the meantime I've watched Irene's video on cory fry, and remembered that I have a breeder box sitting around.  Cleaned it up, and it looks like they're both big enough not to escape, so I popped them in the breeder box in the big tank.  I put some floating plants and a moss ball in for cover.  Seems like a spot where they'll be safe from getting eaten and also not have to run a course of meds with the swordtails who are getting wormed before joining the big tank.

• Like 5

Oh this happened to me too! My cories had been laying and devouring their eggs in my original tank and eventually I moved them to a 20L and was determined to try to breed them. The actual egg hatching took a few tries to get the hang of...

So after removing most of the fish from the first aquarium (a 29g) I was trying to figure out what to do with it. And then as I was watching the bottom I saw a tiny little corydora putting around and eating mulm on the gravel. One of the eggs had fallen to the gravel and hatched and survived! I stopped hatching eggs intentionally but every so often I notice new babies who made it by eating off the sponge filter. It's so cool!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishdude said:

One of the eggs had fallen to the gravel and hatched and survived! I stopped hatching eggs intentionally but every so often I notice new babies who made it by eating off the sponge filter. It's so cool!

Super cool and a fun surprise!

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 5:21 AM, Brian said:

Congratulations.    Keep us updated 

Thanks and Good Luck 

So, thought I'd do some updates--the fry are doing really well.  I only spot the smallest one every now and then--usually cleaning out holes on the sponge filter.  The larger one has done great and is almost the size of my cory habrosus.  No new ones showing up, but it's been really exciting and fun to have these two!

• Like 1