Min Tank Size for Shrimp

DigDug

While people do keep them in less, for the average hobbist I would not recommend less than 5 gallons.  And for inexperienced people, I would tend to point toward 10g.  There are some people that do it as small as 1g or less, but you really need to be experienced at that small level of water. 

• Like 1

I agre with @Ben_RF, 5 or 10 gallons. Shrimp tend to be sensitive to water parameter changes, so having something at least that large helps to keep things more stable. Plants help as well, and you should test your water to know the hardness, unless you have an idea of how much calcium is in it already. If you're on a municipal water supply, you should be able to get a water report that tells you what's in your water and at what levels.

I kept some for a month or so in flower vases stuffed full of plants and sitting on a windowsill.  I don't think I lost any, but I decided I didn't like it and moved them to larger tanks.  As mentioned above, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 5 gallons.

I’d say start at ten gallons. If your do things right and your shrimp thrive, they will fill up a 10 gallon in less than a year. Once a colony gets going, the population grows exponentially. Floating plants help a lot in terms of keeping the water stable as you start reaching a nice density of shrimp. 

• Like 2