First Freshwater as an adult

MartyO

Hello,

So I'm thinking of starting a freshwater tank for the first time since I was a kid. I have a saltwater tank and have had one for about 6 years now and on an off for about 12 years. Thinking using a AIO tank, think it's 10-15 gallons, to start since I have one laying around. Let me know if this a good option or if I would be better off with a basic tank with hang on filter or sponge filter. If I use the AIO tank I would prefer fish that can handle warmer water as it would be in my room and it has a lid so very little ventilation. I possibly could do open top, but I really wanted to keep light spill to a minimum. Let me know what you think. Appreciate any and all feedback.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the freshwater world and to the forum! I think you should just use what you have on hand instead of going out and getting a whole new setup. If you really dislike what you have or the fish you want need more space, then that’s a different matter.

• Like 1

I think your AIO would work great for nano fish, and there are a lot of options. It tends to be easiest to match fish to your water parameters (though doing SW I'm sure you'd be able to tweak them as needed). Most FW tropical fish do fine between 75-78 degrees, so unless your room gets really hot during the summer, you should have a pretty decent selection.

What are your water parameters from the tap? Ph, kh, gh, nitrates would be useful to know. Also, what tank do you have? Go ahead and posts pics if you'd like as well.

• Like 1

I have an AIO tank for my betta, the flow was defentley too much for him so I wrapped some panty hose that was cut to size and ziptied it to the outake. 

Some German Blue Rams and some Cardinal Tetras both really enjoy warmer temps (82F) and would look GREAT together.

Welcome to the Freshwater side!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ererer said:

I think your AIO would work great for nano fish, and there are a lot of options. It tends to be easiest to match fish to your water parameters (though doing SW I'm sure you'd be able to tweak them as needed). Most FW tropical fish do fine between 75-78 degrees, so unless your room gets really hot during the summer, you should have a pretty decent selection.

What are your water parameters from the tap? Ph, kh, gh, nitrates would be useful to know. Also, what tank do you have? Go ahead and posts pics if you'd like as well.

No, but just from experience with using the AIO tank even with LEDs it can get decently warm about 80+ sometimes. I was actually going test my tap, but had to google if I could use my saltwater test kit to get parameters of it, which I found I can luckily. Never really had to test water since I use RODI for my saltwater tank. I have a Biocube think it's between 10-15 gallons. no light in the hood so would need to retro fit a light. Thinking a Finnex Stringray may work.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have an AIO tank for my betta, the flow was defentley too much for him so I wrapped some panty hose that was cut to size and ziptied it to the outake. 

Some German Blue Rams and some Cardinal Tetras both really enjoy warmer temps (82F) and would look GREAT together.

Welcome to the Freshwater side!

Rams are definitely my goal fish for freshwater, always have been, but knew they were more of an advanced fish. If the pump is to strong thinking maybe DIY spray bar might work

12 hours ago, Colu said:

Welcome to the forum how warm would you be keeping them at

I'd have to get a light and water in the tank and let it run for a few days to get an actual idea of the water temp. Though with prior experience with AIO with lids they can get decently warm easily 80+ even with LEDs.

1 hour ago, MartyO said:

No, but just from experience with using the AIO tank even with LEDs it can get decently warm about 80+ sometimes. I was actually going test my tap, but had to google if I could use my saltwater test kit to get parameters of it, which I found I can luckily. Never really had to test water since I use RODI for my saltwater tank. I have a Biocube think it's between 10-15 gallons. no light in the hood so would need to retro fit a light. Thinking a Finnex Stringray may work.

Were you using a preset heater or an adjustable one?

Here's a care guide on GBRs: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/ram-cichlid-care-guide

As long as you keep up with water changes and maintain good water quality, feed a variety of high quality food, keep the tank parameters within the proper range, source well bred fish (best from a breeder instead of a domestic or overseas fish farm), hopefully you should be successful. I haven't personally kept rams, I don't have a local breeder near me.

That tank to me seems too small for a group of cardinals. You could do a school of ember tetras, they also can handle warmer temps and are quite a bit smaller. You could also potentially do endlers.

What are the display area dimensions and the overall tank dimensions? Also, do you have your own RODI setup, or do you buy it?

Edited by ererer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ererer said:

Were you using a preset heater or an adjustable one?

Here's a care guide on GBRs: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/ram-cichlid-care-guide

As long as you keep up with water changes and maintain good water quality, feed a variety of high quality food, keep the tank parameters within the proper range, source well bred fish (best from a breeder instead of a domestic or overseas fish farm), hopefully you should be successful. I haven't personally kept rams, I don't have a local breeder near me.

That tank to me seems too small for a group of cardinals. You could do a school of ember tetras, they also can handle warmer temps and are quite a bit smaller. You could also potentially do endlers.

What are the display area dimensions are the overall tank dimensions? Also, do you have your own RODI setup, or do you buy it?

Usable area comes out to roughly 10 gallons, total would probably be 12 gallons. I have my own RODI system. Was thinking of using it and then just re-mineralizing the water. Though if my tap water isn't horrible after I test might just go that route, less chemicals to buy and doing mad scientist stuff lol. I'm actually in the process of upgrading my saltwater tank from a 40 breeder to a 90 gallon SCA tank and am thinking of maybe making that into a German Rams tank.

• Like 1