I am setting up a new 55 gal. It will have sand, tiger drift wood with lots of hiding spots, some rocks and some live plants, but mostly I want the open clean look. I will have two modified HOB filters each rated for the full tank. 

So starting up the tank isn't an issue, however, I have recently fell in love with a blue ram I have in another tank. Now I know I want as many and as many different kinds in this new tank as I can and be healthy!!! 

How many (and how many different kinds) could realistically live happily and healthy in this tank? 

And should I add other fish kids in with them, if so, what? Female bettas, (probably not enough plants in my plan) dwarf gouramis, 3 angels?

Tell me your thoughts and help me with your experience!

Rams like it HOT, at least 82 (but ideally 86). Therefore you would be better off with dwarf south american cichlids like angelfish, apistogramma, etc. Even cardinal tetras would work. I wouldn't do female bettas with anything semi aggressive like angelfish or rams, and defentley not with a goruami.   

@Fish Folk has some GREAT videos there, defentley worth a watch

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, James Black said:

Rams like it HOT, at least 82 (but ideally 86). Therefore you would be better off with dwarf south american cichlids like angelfish, apistogramma, etc. Even cardinal tetras would work. I wouldn't do female bettas with anything semi aggressive like angelfish or rams, and defentley not with a goruami.   

@Fish Folk has some GREAT videos there, defentley worth a watch

Apistogramma? With the rams, that would be awesome! And I have some cardinals, they would be good dither fish. Do I need dither fish? 

Just now, Fish Folk said:

@Megatron Thanks!  They were 2nd gen fry from a cross between a gold and an electric blue. If you want down the rabbit hole on how we breed them, glad to share. 

I have to say, right now I am happy with happy fish. I am totally into watching and just thinking they are pretty!

I am new to this forum, I would love to find a breeder to get healthy fish from, but I don't want to break any rules. 

Any advice? I kinda like the more unique ones. 

Personally, I'd seriously caution against ordering fish online unless it's next day guaranteed -- and you'll pay an arm and a leg for it! Aquahuna.com is sponsored, so we can recommend them here on the Forum. I'll remark: they use very humble, painfully honest photos of the fish. My guess is that the fish end up looking a ton better once they settle into your water. Kind of the reverse of what you see with a lot of retailers that show the very best photos . . . only for fish you buy to end up being disappointing once they arrive. Depending on where you live, chances are good you'll find healthy, beautiful Rams eventually at an LFS. 

• Thanks 1