Ramshorn snails eating own eggs

Zorix

So I have been trying to breed ramshorn snails for my turtle tank and I started noticing over the past few weeks, less and less snail eggs around my tank.  At first I wasn't sure why the numbers had decreased, but I noticed a few sets of eggs disappear today and just a few moments ago noticed a snail consuming another set of eggs.  I feed them every day.  Has anyone else encountered this and is there something that would lead them to do this?  Thanks.

I also find that calcium is necessary in my very soft water. But shrimp king is expensive in my area. There are lots of ways to get calcium (and protein) into snails. One option is tums, crushed egg shells, or crushed coral in small amounts sprinkled in the substrate, or a piece of cuttlebone, and any protein filled fish food. I dispose of my unloved fish food brands in the shrimp and snail tanks. Depending on the color of your substrate and your tolerance for visual clutter, one of those things may work for you.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was sprinkling some small amounts of powdered calcium carbonate into the tank already but it has a tendency to make the water very cloudy, so I backed off a bit.  My water is already very hard though.  Tests confirm that too.

Hmm maybe it’s not the calcium then. Do their shells have white spots? If not, the calcium level is good.

I’ve seen a snail do this once after the tank ran out of algae for them to eat. I’ve also seen ramshorn snails eat my gourami’s eggs multiple times. I wonder if they’re just not getting enough food period. Or maybe they just like how squishy the eggs are? 😆

You might try making them some snail food or “snello” (snail jello) that’s calcium fortified. I’m not a snail breeder or anything, but this is the recipe I’ve used for my snails. You can cut it up into small pieces and freeze it, then just drop a frozen cube into the tank whenever you want.

2279D35B-73D5-429D-8199-58442866B0C3.jpeg.8d80bd2f691974ea88175b8f51068664.jpeg

(Not sure how much the squishiness matters—but this food is squishy!)

• Like 1

Thanks Hobbit!  The new shell growth doesn't have any white spots or pits like some of the old growth had before I moved them to a new tank.  I think they might not be getting enough food.  I had been trying to give enough for them to eat but not hang around the water too much to make it really dirty and I think I just need to give them more.

Thanks for the snello recipe!  I was just actually looking at a Youtube video that mentioned that too!

• Like 2

Sharon, I had been giving them some sliced and blanched carrots for a little while but it really fouled up the water quickly.  They didn't seem to be that crazy about it either.  I think it was more work for them to eat it but they did eventually eat all of it.  I think next time I go to the store I will pick up some of those to try as well.  Thanks!