E-Blue Acara not feasting...

Fish Folk

Was just feeding this tank a tasty feast of frozen foods, when I noticed that the 2nd largest adult was not eating. Strange! Turns out she’s guarding a nest of eggs. Normally we’d pull and hatch... but time not allowing us to raise so many fry, just going to let them be. 

• Like 3

I tried leaving the latest spawn in for them to raise. Dad was sort of casually guarding them, guppies were sneaking in to pick them off, and then mom was doing drive bys, gobbling up big sections. She didn't seem to be moving them. I pulled the eggs and have a batch of wigglers again. I ended up with 10 sturdy survivors from the last batch, and have higher hopes that my system is sorted out now. As I don't really have a local market or unlimited grow out, I will probably make it the last attempt for a while.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brandy said:

As I don't really have a local market or unlimited grow out, I will probably make it the last attempt for a while.

It’s odd how much they’re talked up in LFS visits when unavailable... and how ambivalent they are when we’ve got them to sell. It may well be the Pleco nailed them... Mom went cannibal... or the Colombian Tetras dashed in. But, from time to time, they will move fry to safer digs. We shall see!!

• Like 1

I suspect that they will sell locally in small numbers, but judging how quickly they breed they may flood the local market fast. I am always amazed that people still manage to sell convicts in big box stores, it is a bit like selling duckweed...

• Haha 2