Sexing Albino Kribensis

Shenandoah Aquatics

Tough to call! I'm loving the photobombing Cacatuoides 🤩 

More pictures would help. I've marked up a few with some thoughts (see below) 

Things we look for . . . females tend to have pink bellies when mature, also more rounded bellies. and the oral fins on our females tended to be rounded at the end, while the males came to a pointed tip. On our traditionally colored Kribs, another thing we noticed was that the ventral fins on our females were plum-colored, while our males had a streak of light blue running down them. That might just have been a random genetic trait, and not definitive of their sex. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 12.20.15 PM.png

• Like 1

I really hope someone can jump in and correct me quickly if I'm off base here, but it's been my understanding that sexing kribs is done by looking at the difference in pelvic fins. Males the first ray of the fin is longest giving a pointed tip appearance while the 3rd ray of the females fin is longest making the fin look more rounded. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MAC said:

looking at the difference in pelvic fins

(just had to confirm: pelvic and ventral fins are exchangeable terms) -- not sure if what you're saying here is correct, but personally, our males always had longer and "whitish / bluish" pelvic / ventral fins. And females were purplish / pinkish and more rounded.

• Administrators

From the limited pictures, I see lots of females. They all have that rounder body shape than a male will have. Males are more elongated. The fin shapes are hard as any trauma to them when young makes that not work and I've seen cases where it wasn't accurate, but it can be 1 of a few things to look at when trying to determine. Mostly the females will get much more pink on their bellies than a male will. They'll be more rotund, and not a long shape. Usually the dorsal fine comes to a point and has a little bit of clear at the end if I remember correctly.