Mixing color strains of ricefish

Siett88

I was wondering if anyone has mixed any of the color strains of medaka? I currently have gold that were in a pond last summer, but when it's warm enough (here in WI that might be July lol) I was looking to put a few different colors in the pond (100 gal.)  Do they eventually revert to natural colors like cherry shrimp or become something else like guppies? (Third option: how dare I even suggest, they all need separate ponds, you heathen!)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I need an answer to this question too. I recently lost all but 2 males of my lamé rice fish and I can't buy more of this strain. I want a koi looking fish of all sorts. Should I just buy several of what I can get my hands on? Will they end up all brown? Has anyone ever mixed them up before?

The lamé strain I got from Dan's fish did end up looking quite different than the parents after I was a few generations in. Maybe some strains required culling to remain as they are "supposed too" 

PXL_20220709_001451560.MP.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, bryanisag said:

I need an answer to this question too. I recently lost all but 2 males of my lamé rice fish and I can't buy more of this strain. I want a koi looking fish of all sorts. Should I just buy several of what I can get my hands on? Will they end up all brown? Has anyone ever mixed them up before?

The lamé strain I got from Dan's fish did end up looking quite different than the parents after I was a few generations in. Maybe some strains required culling to remain as they are "supposed too" 

PXL_20220709_001451560.MP.jpg

Rice fish strains work the same as guppy strains. They won't revert to brown like shrimp but they also won't be "pure" and will be more random in how they look. I hope this helps!

• Thanks 1