New 500 gallon goldfish pond!

FriendlyLoach

Here is what it looks like now. It will look better once the plants grow in. The cool thing is the bog filter and whole waterfall sistem is solar powered. I know it does not look good in this pic but I will add a better pic that will be better in a bit. 

20210205_141909.jpg

Edited by FriendlyLoach
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

That’ll be fun. It looks like full sun, will you run a UV? 

Well, it is only solar powered, and I am not confident enough, or have the right equipment to run UV of solar power. My plan is to shade the pond as much as possible with water lilies, parrots feather, and water hyacinths. And just have lots of plants to suck any sort of nutrients out. And it is not the end of the world if it gets green, I would not freak out too much, but I would try to fix it fast because I want my family to have a good impression about ponds! 😄

• Like 1

A goldfish pond is my absolute dream!! In another post of "cost is no issue - what would you have", that's what I wrote - a goldfish pond! Mine was 800 gallons, and had a smaller barrel-shaped pond attached, since cost was not an issue - haha. Dream on!

In reality, it would be way too much, even a small one, requiring electrical and plumbing work that makes it out of reach financially. Plus I'd need a shade structure as my yard does not get enough and they'd bake in the summer. Keep us posted on your progress!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

A goldfish pond is my absolute dream!! In another post of "cost is no issue - what would you have", that's what I wrote - a goldfish pond! Mine was 800 gallons, and had a smaller barrel-shaped pond attached, since cost was not an issue - haha. Dream on!

In reality, it would be way too much, even a small one, requiring electrical and plumbing work that makes it out of reach financially. Plus I'd need a shade structure as my yard does not get enough and they'd bake in the summer. Keep us posted on your progress!!

I don't know what your budget is, but you can probably get a cow water trough second hand pretty cheap (https://www.penick.net/digging/?p=3376), and then maybe have a little solar pump for circulation. https://www.amazon.com/AEO-Solar-Water-Pump-KIT/dp/B07NQZMWRD or https://www.amazon.com/Sunlitec-Solar-Fountain-Outdoor-Garden/dp/B07V7JR7T9/ref=pd_di_sccai_6?pd_rd_w=P0tz1&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=WQGV8ENB7MHTX6YMC9PC&pd_rd_r=6c2918f3-ba6b-478a-9ccf-363b408931bb&pd_rd_wg=6CSks&pd_rd_i=B07V7JR7T9&psc=1

And then buy like 2 water hyacinths and soon you will have lots of floating plants! I think if you put some effort into it you could pull it off for relatively cheap. 

Hope I was of help!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChemBob said:

Do you have batteries to run the filter at night? Or is it ok to run only in the day. I'm researching pond myself, and solar is likely a prime power source for any pump or fountain i use, so curious what others are doing. 

Yeah, I would love to have a battery backup. But in this pond and my other one I don't run it at night. I try to make it so water stays in the filter over night so not to kill the bacteria. I mainly rely on plants and string algae to keep the water clean. 

• Like 1