German Blue Ram and Tiny Fish

Frank

Hi, The internet gives conflicting information regarding their temperament and requirements. 

I have a planted fifteen gallon, 24" x 12" x 12" tank. I keep the temperature at 75 - 76°F. GH is 80 ppm, KH is 60 ppm, pH is 7.2 - 7.8.

The stocking is 13 ember tetras, 11 green neon rasboras, 3 otocinclus, and 11 cherry shrimp.

Some sites say it would work to add a couple rams. Most say not, for one or more reasons. 

Does anyone here have first hand experience and would advise me on this?

Edited by Frank

You will need your temp higher, I would shoot for at least 80deg, mine are at 82.

Mine do not bother my otos at all. I have a few cherry shrimp in the tank and they have survived due to heavy plant cover. If they can find one they will eat it, especially a young one. If you have enough cover and food, the shrimp will breed anyway. I doubt they will care about the schooling fish, and your schools will be tighter because of them.

They are opportunists in my experience, eating the shrimp that nearly lands on their face. They will chase a school for about 5 minutes before they decide the fish are too fast and too much effort to eat. From that moment on, they ignore it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not let temps get below 80 with a GBR, they really prefer it rather toasty which unfortunately most their tank mates do not.  Mine have always gotten along well with other fish, shrimp on the other hand I do not have first hand experience but I think it could be problematic. 

Edited by Prochaska
  • Thanks 1