Do German Blue Rams Eat Their Fry?

Bucio

Iv finally gotten a paid of GBR to not eat their eggs and protect their fry. But today i get home from work and i watch them... and i dont see the fry. Then i see a few and the dad rushed to pick em up. But I assumed he was just moving them. But he was chomping away and then grabbed another one!? Are they never gonna give me fry !?

3 hours ago, Bucio said:

Iv finally gotten a paid of GBR to not eat their eggs and protect their fry. But today i get home from work and i watch them... and i dont see the fry. Then i see a few and the dad rushed to pick em up. But I assumed he was just moving them. But he was chomping away and then grabbed another one!? Are they never gonna give me fry !?

Aw man . . . sorry to hear that. We've never been able to get out Rams to raise their own fry successfully. Honestly . . . it's a sort of pipe dream we have of getting to watch that. Ours either eat their eggs, or eat their fry. After dozens and dozens of failures, we've just resolved that if we want fry, we'll have to do it ourselves. 

Rams are easily startled. So, one thing to do is make sure that they're in a very low traffic area. When lights go on and off, it spooks them and they crash their fry. Some breeders turn timers off and leave lights on all day and night for awhile -- works with angelfish. Some breeders put coverings around all sides of the tank Rams breed in to keep them from getting startled. 

• 2 years later...