Archerfish in pond

Gong

I don't think archerfish are anywhere near cold tolerant. I also couldn't find the information on that website you were referring to. 

When looking for fish that may be suitable for your pond try to look up where the fish I'd naturally from. Seriouslyfish.com is usually pretty good resource for this. If the fishes natural range falls within the tropics it wouldn't likely do well at those lower temperatures. Finding species from subtropic regions might help narrow down your search. 

1 hour ago, MAC said:

I don't think archerfish are anywhere near cold tolerant. I also couldn't find the information on that website you were referring to. 

When looking for fish that may be suitable for your pond try to look up where the fish I'd naturally from. Seriouslyfish.com is usually pretty good resource for this. If the fishes natural range falls within the tropics it wouldn't likely do well at those lower temperatures. Finding species from subtropic regions might help narrow down your search. 

That's what I thought but here's the source

https://kniselys.com/blog/44571/the-best-fish-breeds-that-will-survive-winter-in-outdoor-ponds

I'll check on the site you posted. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that link. Based on the other fish listed archerfish seems way out of place. But I don't know. Without a scientific name to go off maybe they're referencing a different fish that goes by that common name. If there was a cold water tolerant true archerfish that would make for an awesome pond!

Did you look into any of the Barb species? The gold barbs might be able to handle those temps https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/barbodes-semifasciolatus/

Yeah their list look pretty accurate and then there archerfish...

Gold barbs would be nice too but seem like they might be able to go down to high 50s.. I need a bit lower.

So far I have Rosy red minnows and mosquito fish. I don't want big fish like koi ...only small species

I saw a bunch of archerfish in the wild in SE Asia. I was telling my friends they shoot bugs with water and we waited on a footbridge in the baking sun to get a chance to see it. It didn't. My friends were not impressed.

• Haha 2