Goldfish with Curled Gills?

Yanni

Hi! I recently picked up some goldfish from someone and I noticed that one of them had curled gill plates. It was really odd, I started reading some of the topics online and I wanted to know what the cause could be. Many people said it was because of the ammonia in the water which is very likely. Do the curled gill plates cause fish to have problems breathing or swimming. That same fish seem to also has a swimming problem as well. It flips upside down sometimes but it swims upright. It seems to be having a hard time trying to swim upright almost as if it were tired of swimming upright. What can I do to deal with the curled gill plates and with the swimming problem?

If the gills are elongated and seem to be sucked behind when the fish exhales then it might be worth looking into surgery to remove the excess skin. I will assume the gills are curling outwards, if it seems to be flexible and just developing, try increasing the current to make the fish's body try to adjust by making them curl back in for an aerodynamic shape (I am also assuming it is a comet/ common goldfish, where they have long bodies. And not the cute chubby goldfish). For the swimming problem, that sounds like swim bladder disease. You could try feeding a cooked, shell-removed pea, cut it up if it's a small fish. Sometimes when they eat too much, they can become bloated and put pressure on the organ. Next time when you feed it, check to see if they gulp in air while trying to eat. I had a goldfish that did and had the same problem years ago, sinking pellets/ soaked food solved the issue for me. If it doesn't work, I would assume it has a disfigured swim bladder and you should try to give it the best life possible. It would be more helpful if you included photos of the fish and issue. I hope this helps 😁

• Like 1

Don't feed for 5days and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons after 5days feed deshelled peas if salt doesn't work try maracyn some swim bladder problem are caused by a bacterial infection  gill problems could be genetic deformation of the gill plate if that the case there is no much you can do can you take all picture of the sick fish

• Like 1

The goldfish are both different types I think. I think one of them is a comet and the other one is a ryukin. The curled gills does not seem to really affect the fish as both fish are fairly big (About 5 inches long). The only problem is that it can't seem to stay upright. I will try to not feed them for 5 days and feed the deshelled peas after.