Shrimp question re stable temperature

Karen B.

I bought 5 dream blue shrimps for my 5 gallons fluval spec shrimp only tank.

I lost 1 right away, then two the following 2 weeks. I am not sure if it’s because the tank was too new despite addidng driftwood, rocks, plants and filter media from other tanks and letting it cycle for 3 weeks.

Or could it be temperature related? Every care video I watch about shrimp mention the important of stable temperature but how « stable » must it really be? My aquarium (5 gallons) is in a really cold room so I added an aqueon 100w preset filter but the temperature fluctuates between 73 and 75.5

Basically, is my water temperature considered stable?

F30FEE48-3299-475B-892A-C46638CAE63E.jpeg.d54d7a75c49aef15900472bbcee4c25e.jpeg

Shrimp can also be susceptible to water chemistry differences. It’s often a good idea to acclimate shrimp to your water chemistries by adding a small amount of your tank water to the bag they are floating in every so often. Some people use a drip method, there are many videos on youtube on how to set up a drip method. I hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a colony of shrimp in a 5 gallon with no heater. My apartment is old and drafty and I would imagine that the temperature swings more than 2 degrees daily. I doubt the temperature stability is leading to the loss of your shrimp based on my experiences with keeping shrimp without a heater. 

• Thanks 1

Agreed, A 2 degree swing from time to time shouldn't bee too detrimental.  In nature, there is that kind of shift (and more) going from day to night and back.

What is your pH? Do you know what pH they were raised in?  Like @Will Billymentioned, it's very possible that there was a difference in parameters that those shrimp just couldn't overcome.

• Thanks 1

When adding shrimp or if I do a large water change I always lose some. I lean towards water chemistry stability is more important than temperature because they seem to be fine with temp swings. When changing water I do my best to do no more than 20% every once in awhile at most and every once in awhile to me is every two to three months on my shrimp only tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's tough to successfully introduce shrimp to a new tank, even with filter, plants, etc from an established tank.  There's a reason most experienced shrimp keepers recommend letting a new tank run for 3 months before adding shrimp.  Other than needing a tank that has stable water parameters, they need biofilm to graze on, and that takes time to develop.

• Thanks 1