how to be sure shrimp find the food I give them?

brighamthatcher

I like to feed the 'baby' food by dennerle. It's a tiny crumble that spreads to every inch of your tank. It gives a light dust to your whole tank. The adults will eat it and more importantly it will increase the survival rate of your newborn shrimplets that you may not even know that you have.

Joe

16122555206986252744220985975939.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brighamthatcher said:

any tips? thanks

I agree with @toothgrinder. Try to put it where you can see it. I use Shrimp King as well and noticed the first time it floated on the top and then dropped in places I couldn't see. They did find it very quickly but now I'm going to try putting the food on a spoon with a little tank water so it soaks up water and will drop where I can see it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jennifer V said:

I agree with @toothgrinder. Try to put it where you can see it. I use Shrimp King as well and noticed the first time it floated on the top and then dropped in places I couldn't see. They did find it very quickly but now I'm going to try putting the food on a spoon with a little tank water so it soaks up water and will drop where I can see it. 

I use a drinking straw to feed mine.  This looks like a lot of steps, but it's really pretty simple.

• I put the food in a crease in my left palm, then it's fairly easy to get it into a straw that I hold in my right hand, with my index finger over the other end so the food doesn't fall out.
  • Hold the straw with the open end up until you get to the tank, then stick the open end in the tank without tilting it any more than necessary to keep the food from falling out too soon.
  • With the open end of the straw an inch or so into the water, remove your finger from the other end.  If the straw is too deep when you take your finger off the end then tank water and the food will shoot out of the top.
  • After removing your finger lower the straw until the end is near the bottom and hold it there for a few minutes (without getting the top of the straw below the water surface).
  • Depending on the type of food it will start falling in a minute or so.  If you don't want it all in on place you can move the straw as the food is falling.
  • When it looks like all, or at least most, of the food has fallen I usually hold my finger over the end of the straw again, lift it until the other end is barely still in the water, and then move my finger off the end to release the water that was in the straw.  That will generally flush out any tiny bits of food that were still in it
  • Like 1