Ziss egg tumbler

Larrimore

I don't think it would be a good idea to tumble angelfish eggs. Normally they are firmly attached to a flat surface and fanned by parent until they are hatched. Even after hatching the newly hatched fry are still tethered to their hatching location so that it is impossible for them to get separated from their siblings and nest location.

• Thanks 1

I've messed with it once or twice for times when you take the slate out and scrape half the eggs off on the lid. 🙃 The other time was one of my many efforts to train a pair to parent raise. They guarded the tumbler until hatch but ate every free swimmer an hour after release. The hard part is getting the eggs off the slate without crushing them. Flow rate was pretty low just enough to fan the eggs and keep them from collecting in the center of the bottom. They lived to free swimmers the 2 times I tried it.

Edited by s1_
  • Thanks 1

I have their rearing jar system. Had problems feeding once free swimmers, also I had several deaths in the creases between the sponge and uplift tube. Any adjustment would pull wrigglers down and crush them. It was nearly impossible to remove unfertilized eggs or die offs without causing more of the same problem. I like the idea and it obviously works, I think my jar was either too tall(standard) or my uplift tube was too short. The last time I used it the air line pushed itself up and out of the lift tube and all the fry died.

May revisit that system in the future. considered making my own uplift tube.

Have preferred pulling the eggs and using the ziss box after hatching in a heated jar with meth blue.

Edited by s1_
  • Thanks 1

@s1_ what was the issue feeding the fry, and I put a air stone on the bottom of the line so that couldn’t happen to me. I don’t know about the issues mentioned about the fry during in the foam, I normally don’t move them to the jar till they are free swimming. And I don’t worry about the bad eggs, because I put the jars in 29gal and even with three jars going I’ve never had an issue with water problems, I actually put a bladder snail in the jar with the fry to clean up