Removing nitrate from tap water

onlywei

So... my parents' house has well water and a water softener system installed so it has a GH of 0. Unfortunately, there is still around 40-50ppm of nitrate in the tap water itself. I am looking for something on the market that can specifically remove nitrate from the tap water when I do water changes.

I found something like this: https://www.filterwater.com/ps-350-7-inline-nitrate-removal-cartridge.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with products like these? Anyone else have nitrates in their well water? What did you do about it?

• Administrators

Keep planted tanks and do smaller water changes is how I plan to battle nitrates in my new fish room's well water. This is the easiest approach I've had others do when they've had this problem.

Like Cory mentions, I just make sure I have a lot of plants in my tanks. Commonly recommended plants for in the tank: hornwort, najas grass/guppy grass, water sprite, water wisteria. You could also try floaters such as frogbit, water lettuce, or (gasp) duckweed.  Also, put some pothos growing out of the tank (it's non-fully aquatic, so just dangle some roots down in the tank or into the hang-on-back filter if you have one).

Basically, for me, the more plants the better. I like the complete jungle look though, so that's going to be up to your own preferences. 

Edited by MDoc

If I have a lot of plants and nitrates coming from tap water, what fertilizer should I use?

If I understand correctly, plants only grow as fast as the most limiting nutrient. If my plants are limited by some other nutrient, then they won't absorb nitrate as fast. Aquarium Coop Easy Green has Nitrogen as its most abundant element, so I'm guessing I shouldn't use Easy Green.

Floating or any column feeding plants! I have 19 rasboras and 6 otocats in a planted 45, I do 10% water change twice a week and never have more than 5ppm nitrate, even skipping a water change for over a week sometimes. Some people put things like sweet potatoes or bamboo in their HOB filter and let it grow out the top. I have salvinia minima and at every water change I have to scoop some out because it grows so fast. They're amazing!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, FreshwaterFacet said:

Do you see any adverse affects with the water softener? I have been bucketing my water and heating it in buckets from outside where our water doesn't go through the softener. I am wondering now if that isn't even necessary?

I haven't noticed any adverse affects, but I don't get to see those tanks every day since they are at my parents' house.