Hey everyone I need some help. I had a 75 gal tank that was doing great full of neon tetras and I started adding cardinal tetras and all a sudden all my neons started dying off. I checked with my local shop and they said cardinals are caught in the wild and may carry disease. Long story short I've been treating the tank but if the last handful die off just going to do a reset. Have the turbo start bacteria but is there a good way of flushing the system of the bacteria/fungi? I just wanna get back on the road of my 75 gal of 200 neons and this time neons only. Any help or suggestions are appreciated thoroughly 

The best way to get rid of any diseases is to drain the tank completley and let everything dry off. In these conditions aquatic parasites will die off. I would let the tank dry out for a few days. the 200 neons in a 75 seem stuning, good luck! This is what I did when I had ich in a tank. You could also get bleach and do a bleach dip on everything.

Edited by James Black

Thanks James I had a feeling that was the route I would have to take. But I have 3 flying foxes that havent been affected but I need to quarantine so I might have to start up my back up tank again in this weekend to let them get it out of their system. Sad thing is I've NEVER had a issue with neons before adding the cardinals. My biggest was 1.5 inches since August. Gonna try what you said and hope it works better this time and apply what I've learned  to making this try better

• Like 1

Just my .02, and I am not saying I am right, just what I would do.

If there are still other fish in there, which it sounds like there are, I would just let the tank run as is for 2, 3, 4 weeks. This will allow it to remain cycled since you have a few fish in it still without disrupting them. 

Then, if everything is looking good at the 2 week mark, you can get the first group of neons and get them quarantined on some meds for a couple weeks before adding them to the larger tank.

Like I said, just my opinion, not trying to say a hard reset would be wrong.

• Like 2

I agree with @Squeegee79

I am not a fan of full on bleaching the tank if at all possible. If you pull out the few remaining fish, and treat them in a QT for a few weeks, and feed the empty tank in the mean time, fish parasites (likely culprit in the case of silent wild caught tetra die offs imho) will run their course and you will have a clean tank without needing a full reset. Diseases need hosts. I have done this when faced with a similar situation. It worked for me. 

• Like 1

So I have the means of the QT tank which id like to put the remaining fish in then just draining the main tank for a few days. The plants I have are showing fungi symptoms so this might be a good chance for a new opportunity. I have about 8 neon and 4 black neons left besides the flying foxes but I wanna make sure I do a flush of the system not saying bleach but just tap water and make sure the systems good. From what im getting theres alot of ways I can approach this and you guys have confirmed my ideas so thank you for the help so far

Morphy youre right. But even tho I'm saddened to lose basically all my neons I can apply the knowledge to rebuilding this. I have some ideas and after I get this under control its gonna be even better than the first try. Idk if you guys can see my pic of my first 75gal but its my pride and joy. About how far I've come since I started out. The death of fish sucks but at the same time they're imprinted on you about what to remember down the road

Edited by Whis the welder