Cory cat breeding in a community tank

Mr. Ed's Aquatics

Last night I noticed my 2 paleatus corys swimming up and down all over front of the tank after the lights went off. This morning I see 20-30 eggs in little groups all over the tank. I only have the 2 corys, 1 baby rubberlip pleco and a ton of endlers with some pond snails. Are they cory eggs? I can't think of anything else that might have laid them, they don't look like snail eggs.

Any chance of hatching them in the community tank? Or should I move the eggs to another empty tank if I wanted to keep them? What's a good way to move them? I have only ever accidentally colony bred easy corys and didn't think just 2 (they were a rescue, I know to keep them in bigger groups) would possibly mate.

Anyhow, thanks for any info. 

20200817_100722.jpg

20200817_100834.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like you have places for the corys to hide so I would think you will get at least some survivors. The adult corys will probably snack on a few. Not sure of the endlers but if you get endler fry that survive probably not much of an issue. You probably will get a better survival rate if you take the eggs out, however you probably won't find all the eggs so you may get some in the community tank anyway.

-Jeff

Looks like cory eggs to me! My cory eggs usually got eaten when I just left them in the community tank, so you could move them to a breeder net or another tank. Some people recommend using a credit card to remove the eggs, but I had good luck just rolling them off with my fingers. They tend to grow fungus, so if you want to increase hatch rate, you can put them in a floating plastic tub or specimen container with a little air stone or tubing for bubbles and add a few drops of methylene blue or alder cones for the antifungal properties. Good luck to ya!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Look like Cory eggs to me especiallywith that laying in sets of two like they seem to be. I had my group of 6 pandas breed in my 55 with enough plants and good food it will get as successful as you want it to. Ended up with 180 pandas before I sold them off. When it rains it pours I guess. It was awesome to have giant cory schools in the other tanks and find them homes to support the rest of the fish eventually. Any update since the initial post?