Ich!?!

Melissa Ann

I just ordered a new master test kit and should arrive today. In the meantime, I think i woke up this morning with Ich in my planted Ram tank. 😔  turned temp up   Anything else I can do without Ich-x on hand?  I do have trio but don’t think that’s applicable    I’ve never had ich in a tank before    Help?   I’ll add water parameters as soon as I can     

3A40EFA9-781D-4D9D-9403-674F89C6A366.jpeg

Edited by Melissa Ann
Add photo

If you dont have ich x on hand paraclense may work too. Paraclense is a medicine for all parasitic ilnesses. All though ich x would work better, so I would suggest if you can go out and get the ichx. But if you can't because you have the med trio on hand do paraclense. If you have a QT Tank you can move the infected fish into the QT Tank.

Also when I treated for ich, I treated every day even though the package told me not to. I would suggest to do that.

I did:

1st and 2nd day treatment

3rd day waterchange and treatment

4th day treatment 

5th day waterchange and treament

6th day treatment

7th day complete 🙂 

Edited by James Black
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your help.  I’ll dose the tank with General Cure for now.  Just checked and everyone is out of stock near me.  ??  Ugh.  
I just ordered API Ich-x through Amazon for delivery tomorrow.   Freaking out.  Have never dealt with ich before.  Doesn’t it kill quickly?  

I have successfully treated Ich with just salt and temp.   Stress is what will kill the fish the fastest right now, so take things slowly.
I raised my tank to 85F+,   do this slowly though, I did mine in 2-3degree increments.  I also added salt,  SLOWLY!   adding a ton of salt all at once is not good in my opinion.  Also adding an Airstone is very important as raising temps also reduces O2.  Gravel vacuuming can help too, because the ICH will fall off and land in the gravel till it hatches and looks for another host.  The idea is that the heat and salt kill the hatchlings, and therefore stop the spread.   When you do change water,  make sure the water has salt in it and is up to temp.   Don't need any salinity or temp swings while this is happening.
Also,  after all signs of ICH are gone, i'd keep the routine up for at least another 7-10 days before bringing things back to normal.

I can say in my experience, ICH-X is by far the easiest thing to do, if you can get it.  Its simple to use and works very well in my experience.

• Thanks 1