parasite

Gina L

Hi everyone,  I am very new to the hobby and I have a weird situation.  I noticed a few of my rummy nose tetras had about 5 white spots on them last week.  The next day they were gone.  I have seen one spot here and there on a couple other fish and that is it so I am not sure if it is ick.  The big thing though I am noticing is a number of my fish flashing.  I have a 55 gallon tank and about 6 of my fish are flashing.  I treated with salt last week and it seems better - not white spots at all but still a lot of flashing going on.  I have one Dalmatian molly in particular that has the shimmys and is almost obsessively flashing.  Not sure at all how to treat this.  I have lots of plants and 2 african dwarf frogs in the tank so want to be extra careful how I treat.  Not sure what to treat with either - ick, flukes?    I think my water parameters are good.  nitrate is 20 but my ph is 8.1.  I tested my tapwater is I am on a well and it is high ph.  Thanks!!!

If the white spots were about the size of a grain of salt, then it is very possibly ich. In ich's life cycle, the ich attaches to the fish and then drops off and multiplies and then comes back stronger.

If I thought it was possibly ich, I would go ahead and treat for ich using a product like Ich-X.