New tank what's this?

ND1990

Doing a fishless cycle on a new tank plants are from my own tank except the floaters. Substrate is eco complete. Has been up for about 2 weeks and today I noticed white bugs everywhere on the glass, they're tiny. Also some fuz looking stuff on the floaters. Never had this. Did toss in some freeze dried daphnia a week ago but don't see that being related. 

Thanks

20210117_135713.jpg

20210117_135640.jpg

I'm no expert but from what ive seen in my tanks it looks like some form of Cyclops or daphnia... Do they move in quick jerks when they swim almost like they hop through the water? If so that would be my best geuss. Not anything really to be concerned about. I'm not too sure about the fuzz though. Hope this helps

2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm no expert but from what ive seen in my tanks it looks like some form of Cyclops or daphnia... Do they move in quick jerks when they swim almost like they hop through the water? If so that would be my best geuss. Not anything really to be concerned about. I'm not too sure about the fuzz though. Hope this helps

I dont believe it's daphnia. Prettt sure freeze dried is dead anyways. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The white stuff in the upper photo might be cyclops. The white bloomy, powdery stuff in lower photo is Vorticella. Both are harmless.

Interesting thanks! How do I get rid of the Vorticella before I put shrimp in there? 

1 hour ago, ND1990 said:

I dont believe it's daphnia. Prettt sure freeze dried is dead anyways. 

I agree but without a close up photo it was hard to tell daphnia or Cyclops I wasnt thinking to was coming from the food but with how small those guys are they can kinda just show up places. Sort of like how alot of people will get springtails on the surface of the water or on top of the lid of their tanks

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

I agree but without a close up photo it was hard to tell daphnia or Cyclops I wasnt thinking to was coming from the food but with how small those guys are they can kinda just show up places. Sort of like how alot of people will get springtails on the surface of the water or on top of the lid of their tanks

Yeah I get it another guy said cyclops as well so I'll believe  yall and look into it more. I never had this before so I appreciate the help man!

Although vorticella is harmless in a lot of aquarium situations, it can be dangerous to freshwater shrimp. Vorticella can attach itself to shrimp and multiply, causing stress, suffocation and eventually death. In large numbers, can even take out a colony. 

13 hours ago, Lynze said:

Although vorticella is harmless in a lot of aquarium situations, it can be dangerous to freshwater shrimp. Vorticella can attach itself to shrimp and multiply, causing stress, suffocation and eventually death. In large numbers, can even take out a colony. 

I took the plants out that had it. Also the cyclops or whatever it was is now gone this morning. I'll take care of everything before any shrimp or fish go in. Thank you all for the help. Much better than Reddit. They told me it was normal, not my normal at least. 

• 3 months later...

I agree with what was said above in regards to the animals on the glass being daphnia or cyclops, which are great to have.  As for the vorticella, not so much.  I would take out the plants as you have where you see it, and treat the tank with API Pimafix for the full week cycle before adding any shrimp into that environment.  

2 minutes ago, vividjs24 said:

I agree with what was said above in regards to the animals on the glass being daphnia or cyclops, which are great to have.  As for the vorticella, not so much.  I would take out the plants as you have where you see it, and treat the tank with API Pimafix for the full week cycle before adding any shrimp into that environment.  

I would advise against Pimafix. I used it and lost 3 fish and a bunch of shrimp. I dosed to tank and provided an air stone and still had loss. 

Edited by ND1990

Oh no!  I am sorry to hear that.  Yes, Pimafix definitely causes a lack of oxygen.  I had two sponge filters going in my 5 gallon, which added enough surface agitation for my situation.  Just curious-did it get rid of the vorticella aside from killing your animals?

1 minute ago, vividjs24 said:

Oh no!  I am sorry to hear that.  Yes, Pimafix definitely causes a lack of oxygen.  I had two sponge filters going in my 5 gallon, which added enough surface agitation for my situation.  Just curious-did it get rid of the vorticella aside from killing your animals?

It didn’t actually. The only thing I’ve used that helps is paraguard. It keeps coming back for me though after a few days or week.. if my tank wasn’t so darn big I could scrap all plants and substrate and start over.. lol