Livebearers still flashing after full course of Paracleanse

Kirsten

Last week I noticed a few of my endler fry flicking/quickly rubbing themselves against a smooth rock in the tank. One started doing it and then a couple other followed. I thought they might just be horsing around and playing follow the leader, but then I saw some mama endlers and some adult platy do it too. Uh oh. Pretty sure that means gill flukes.

So I did a full 5-day paracleanse treatment for the whole tank: full doses on Day 1 and Day 3, 25% water change Day 5. It seemed to offer some relief since they seem to be flashing less often during treatment, but it's hard to tell because they were doing it pretty infrequently before. Day 5 was Thursday and things seemed fine. Now on Sunday I'm seeing them start up again.

I should note that their appetite and energy have all been awesome the entire time. Whole crew of hungry hungry hippos coming up and begging for food every time I get near the glass. They haven't seemed to have trouble breathing or inflamed gills (it's hard to tell on some of the paler platy, though, who seem to naturally have pretty red gills).

Should I start another round of Paracleanse or should I wait to see if anyone's looking more sick?

Water parameters:
Temp: 76-78F
pH 7.4
KH: 10-20ppm
GH: 150ppm
Ammonia & Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20ppm

42 minutes ago, Chris the Fish said:

I had a similar issue a year back.  For me it was just repeat doses on a two week interval that did it.  I think I did three in a row like that and it cured it.  I used General Cure at the time but as Paracleanse is that same thing that should do the trick. 🙂

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Do you know if 2 weeks is necessary? I'm thinking of starting it again tomorrow to get this behind my as soon as possible. Do the fish need some breathing room between treatments?

2 minutes ago, Colu said:

You have to leave 2week between treatment to allow time for parasites egg to hatch treatment has not effect against the egg stage of the parasite

Ahhhh that makes total sense. So should it go like this?

Week 1: Treatment for 5 days
Week 2: Nothing
Week 3: Nothing
Week 4: Second treatment

In my experience, praziquantel is the med that kills the flukes,  Paracleanse has it in there,  75mg/packet, also has 250 mg metronidazole, so it works as a broader spectrum anti-parasite.    Something like Prazipro has only praziquantel and I believe its a higher strength.  running a multiple courses of Paracleanse will do the trick, but if you have Prazipro on hand, might be better at knocking it out.

2 hours ago, Mr_Manifesto said:

Something like Prazipro has only praziquantel and I believe its a higher strength.  running a multiple courses of Paracleanse will do the trick, but if you have Prazipro on hand, might be better at knocking it out.

Ahh that makes total sense. I was seeing guides online saying one dose of prazipro is usually enough. Might head out tonight to see if the pet stores near me have it.

• Like 1