Fish only tank to planted

Supedigilady

Hello all, 

I have a 72 bowfront that is fish only bare bottom with just inert decor as hideaways. Has a sun sun canister for now. I am wanting to get it planted again and am peeling to do so.  The issue I am having is how do I transition from one type of setup to the other a smoothly a possible? I am worried that once I get the new substrate and get it planted the cycling period will harm my fish.  I do not have a spare tank big enough for the fish I have in there so my only real option is to use a plastic storage container with a hob on it but I worry about over crowding. I have/keep seachem stability on hand just in case, which makes me wonder if I should just do the tank and use the stability until everything settles. Does anyone have any suggestions or if it's been done how was it done?  Thank you for any input,  I miss having my planted tank and really want to get it back together.

the tank should not have to cycle again.  all the glass, and your canister have beneficial bacteria all over them. depending on what substrate you use makes exactly how to add it different. but basically lower the water level, add substrate , and fill tank back up. if needed, the fish can go in a bucket for a few hours.

Here's what I would do:

-Put the fish into buckets using the water from the tank, and put your filter into the one of the buckets

-Drain the tank, and start rescaping

-Fill the tank back up

-Put the old filter back on

-Acclimate and add the fish

The fish don't need to be in the buckets for that long just until the rescape is finished.

When cycling the tank you are not cycling the water, but you are growing benficial bacteria that usually colonizes on the filter. Most will be in the filter and others will be in the substrate and very little are on the decor and glass. Because of how much is on the filter simpliy keep the bacteria alive by putting it in  a bucket with the fish and use that to cycle your tank.

7 minutes ago, James Black said:

Here's what I would do:

-Put the fish into buckets using the water from the tank, and put your filter into the one of the buckets

-Drain the tank, and start rescaping

-Fill the tank back up

-Put the old filter back on

-Acclimate and add the fish

The fish don't need to be in the buckets for that long just until the rescape is finished.

When cycling the tank you are not cycling the water, but you are growing benficial bacteria that usually colonizes on the filter. Most will be in the filter and others will be in the substrate and very little are on the decor and glass. Because of how much is on the filter simpliy keep the bacteria alive by putting it in  a bucket with the fish and use that to cycle your tank.

This...

UNLESS you are planning to use very high end aqua soil....which in this case I would just avoid. Some of that stuff can add ammonia to the tank, I have heard. Particularly ADA. I have added small amounts to an established tank, but not done a full replacement.

• Like 2

Edit: Planted tanks with aquarium gravel 🙂

Literally just did a water change and just fed bug bites, but here is some dwarf sageteria growing really well in plain old aquarium gravel.  Mind the amazon sword, I had recently moved it so it has some die back.

Edit: Adding the shrimp tank which is aquarium gravel.  The anubias just sits on top of the substrate, its not pushed in and its doing fine. I attached some java moss to some aquarium sponge and ran it along the sides.  

IMG_20210114_204514.jpg

IMG_20210114_204442.jpg

IMG_20200528_203959.jpg

Edited by Ben_RF
adding another pic

I have a tank with traditional inert aquarium gravel and is planted. Stem plants which feed from the water column and plants like Anubias and Java Fern should all do well without needing root tabs. You will also avoid the spikes from enriched media harming your fish.

This is the the route I would go. Even if you go with enriched media, eventually it will run out of nutrients and you will have to add root tabs.

By using the above mentioned plants you can get that established before moving to root feeding plants and root tabs.

With the inert gravel approach, you can drain the tank down 50% add substrate. wait a month do another 50% water change and add plants.

Another idea for plant is to use the Co-op's easy planters. These make it much easier to add root tabs to if you want root feeding plants sooner rather than later.

There are many ways to do it and non really wrong, but you definitely want to save that bacteria!!

Good Luck!