uprading from 15 gal to 55 gal

zeke_the_plecco

my over crowded 15 gallon long has been a perpetual WC ever since the surviving swordtail fry have reached adolescense/adult. Then just before xmas i got really sick and was unable to keep up my rediculous 2-5 x per week maintance schedule and my water quality suffered greatly as a result(mainly skyrocketing nitrates}. since then ive managed to get nitrates down to around 10/20ish but with 5 swordtails, 2 corydoras and a ever growing 7 in. plecco its time to bust out the 55 gal tank i got used.                                                                                                                                                                            heres my main Q's: how to safely make the transition?    what are some prefered filters for that size tank? i have 2 aquatech 30-60"s, old and new model i aquired because currently im running aquatech 20-40 on 15 gal and thought interchangeable medias/parts would help carry BB to new tank. that been said i dont really care for the 20-40 im useing now even though its been extremely reliable and effective(0 ammonia or nitrite issues in 2 years).   are the aquatech 110 HOB good?  and any other suggestions on rehoming  my bubble buds i much appreciate thanks

I think you can probably instant cycle the new tank if you have a cycled sponge filter or can do a media interchange like you are suggesting. I would just keep both tanks running and move a fish or two over every few days. I think filtration is largely a matter of preference. I don't use HOB, so I am not a good source for info on those.

• Like 1

thanks brandy, i do like your suggestion, "move fish or two every few days", the plecco being by far the largest bioload of my stock, being hes 7 or 8 " and most my swordtails are around 1 1/2 or 2" and my corydors are probably a little over 2", which would you move first? do you think its best to go easy on the new tanks BB by starting with the smallest of the swordtails or should i move the doo doo making machine(my common plecco) first? he and the corys are i would say the hardiest and most tolerant of any possible cycle issues.         also if HOB filters arent your preference, then what would you suggest for filtration for 55 gal and my stock?  thanks again