Good Morning Everyone, 

Wondering if anyone experienced can look quickly at the pictures and let me know what's going on? The plant in my 10 gallon have just started to develop these blotchy areas. If I had to guess, I'm thinking it has something to do with the intensity or duration of light. However they seemed happy for months before all starting to do this.  Just wanted to make sure I understand what's going on before trying to remedy the situation. 

Thanks in advance,

Grant

image0.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

It certainly could be.  Not much has changed as for tank parameters. Same temp (77-78F), same lighting (on a timer), same inhabitants (minus a few shrimp due to the temperamental beta), same dosage of fertilizer (one pump of easy green per week), and same water change schedule. I may get some root tabs to see if that does the trick, but I figured I'd throw some pictures up here to see if anyone more experienced had the answer. 

1 hour ago, Gigrantor said:

It's a 10 gallon tank. And here's a link to the lighting I'm using. I had it on a timer for 6 hours a day, and then dialed it back to 4 hours once the coloring started. Do you think it's a nutrient deficiency or excess? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T9Y7LQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would guess that light would b enough on a 10 gallon, I would recommend to run your light for 8 hours a a day, I am leaning that a combination of not enough light since you've only been running it for four hours a day and nutrient deficiency, test your water, see what the nitrate levels are, you want to have somewhere around 40ppm nitrate for plant growth. If its low, dose more fertilizer to bring nitrate level up.

• Like 1

I will kick the light back up to 8 hours a day.  When I first started seeing the discoloration it almost looked like a sun bleaching effect. So I panicked and decreased the amount of light they were getting. After Jeff mentioned a possible potassium deficiency, I did some preliminary research and that looks like it is exactly what is happening.  Thanks for the help everyone!