Angelfish Breeding Question

Kriskm

I am lucky enough to have Philippine Blue angelfish available in a local store. The ones in the store vary in their number of stripes, from 2 up to 4 or 5. My question is, are "zebra" angelfish just the ones that happen to have 4 or more stripes? If I breed two angelfish with 4 or more stripes together, will their offspring be more likely to have 4 or more stripes? I like the look of more stripes, and I was surprised by how much variance there was at the store.

I have attached a really cool angelfish genetics calculator. It's an interesting tool for figuring out the odds of certain offspring. It's also useful for learning what genes make up the common names or varieties .

http://www.angelfishbreeder.com/

Works best on desktop vs mobile. There is more refined mobile one on a different site but they sell aquarium stuff so they got left out 🤐

• Like 1

I believe a true zebra is three or more stripes on the body. If they just have the classic two on body then It’s just a Pb angelfish. But as cory said they often sell any blue striped angelfish as a zebra blue or a cobalt blue. I find a lot of blues often throw albino, but they are much harder to raise. I don’t often see other types in my pairs. So I went out and just purchased a group of blue Smokey’s. I may end up crossing them with a blue zebra or a black marble. Just to see what happens. 

• Like 1