Best PSI pressure reducer to use for 1/4" fresh water fill lines?

pedrofisk

I am setting up my filtered fresh water system to my new multi-tank rack . Right now I am using a Senninger 25 PSI pressure reducer for 3/4" line pressure (about 50psi according to the gauge) to 1/4" irrigation lines running to the tank. At 25 PSI it is coming out way to fast unless I have multiple valves open. Only thing is I want the ability to fill just one tank at a time too.

They also have 10 and 15 PSI reducers. I am interested if anyone has any experience or advice setting up these systems. Thanks in advance!

My system (pressure reducers at bottom):

174244637_2021-01-0214_16_49.jpg.b4ca5455953abb7b8118297da1af4291.jpg

Edited by pedrofisk

@pedrofisk Water pressure and water flow rate are two different concepts. What you need is a flow restrictor.

You have two options -- You can go with individual restrictors that install into each of 1/4 water line. or just plumb a single restrictor into your 3/4" plumbing. 

The 1/4" restrictors can be found anywhere that sells RO equipment and supplies. You simply slip them into the RO line, where it meets a push to connect fitting.

The restrictors that are sized more for standard plumbing can be found at any good plumbing supply place online. These come in a wide range of flow rates. As a reference, a typical modern sink faucet runs at about about 2.2 GPM.

Just do a google search for flow restrictors and you'll come up with a bunch of stuff.

I restrict my water down to 0.5 GPM, as I need this specific rate to optimize contact time of the water within the media in some of my resin filters. I do also have a pressure reducer that reduces the pressure down to 30PSI, but this is so I don't exceed the recommended pressure for my drip emitters and accidentally blow one off.  

You could also probably restrict flow in a number of other 'hacked' ways, like via a gate valve or ball valve. But I'd go with a restrictor.

Not 100% sure about the linking-to-products policy in this forum, but this is the one I use as it's reasonably priced --> 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

@pedrofisk Just one correction to the above now that I’m rereading my response . . .

I mentioned everything as GPH, but I meant GPM (gallons per minute, not gallons per hour). Restrictors are normally rated at flow per minute (which is considerably more flow than per hour!)

Sorry if that caused any confusion.

I’ll edit my above post for accuracy in case anyone else is looking for this info at a later time.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tolstoy21 said:

@pedrofisk Water pressure and water flow rate are two different concepts. What you need is a flow restrictor.

You have two options -- You can go with individual restrictors that install into each of 1/4 water line. or just plumb a single restrictor into your 3/4" plumbing. 

The 1/4" restrictors can be found anywhere that sells RO equipment and supplies. You simply slip them into the RO line, where it meets a push to connect fitting.

The restrictors that are sized more for standard plumbing can be found at any good plumbing supply place online. These come in a wide range of flow rates. As a reference, a typical modern sink faucet runs at about about 2.2 GPM.

Just do a google search for flow restrictors and you'll come up with a bunch of stuff.

I restrict my water down to 0.5 GPM, as I need this specific rate to optimize contact time of the water within the media in some of my resin filters. I do also have a pressure reducer that reduces the pressure down to 30PSI, but this is so I don't exceed the recommended pressure for my drip emitters and accidentally blow one off.  

You could also probably restrict flow in a number of other 'hacked' ways, like via a gate valve or ball valve. But I'd go with a restrictor.

Not 100% sure about the linking-to-products policy in this forum, but this is the one I use as it's reasonably priced --> 

Thanks that is very interesting. I had not come across those constrictors before, I'll lok into them.

15 hours ago, tolstoy21 said:

Thanks that is very interesting. I had not come across those constrictors before, I'll lok into them.

So after further experimenting I can control the flow enough with the 1/4" shut-off valves I can put at each tank. It's maybe not ideal as it leaves room for human error but I can still always try the restrictors later without changing anything else. Here's a mock-up:

1386337584_2021-01-0311_46_10.jpg.521fa9d59769e21d0a39b16b5a1b5ab4.jpg

• Like 1

supplyhouse was the only place I could find a 1/4" quick connect 0.5gpm and 1gpm flow restrictor. I planned on buying one but found in testing with a flow meter the valve works fine. all my filtration and 1/4" line restricts the flow to about 1gpm without it.

I use a flow meter to track gallons used as well as setting gpm. My solenoids are 24vACfor use with sprinkler controllers(I use the bhyve 12 zone indoor/outdoor wifi). I have since expanded the picture above to 12 valves. Its setup that only one zone/solenoid is flowing at a time.  I attatched a picture of the flow meter I use. Its 1/4" quick connect.

spacer.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, s1_ said:

i have pretty much the exact same manifold you have pictured. the only difference is solenoid valves where your valves are and I restrict the entire manifold with 1 of your pictured valves at the supply line in post filtration.

PXL_20201216_091628442.jpg

Nice setup, I haven't seen one quite like that before.