Listening/watching old Aquarium Co-op videos saved my val!

SWilson

Just an appreciation post - I was about to be one of those .0001% of people who kill vallisineria except I had a long drive and listened to hours of old Real Fish Talk episodes and Co-op videos - and happened to learn that I was not supposed to bury the crown of the plant!  (I'm sure I looked this up as I was setting up the tank, but it was a late night and lots of planting, so I just spaced and shoved those suckers deep in there as far as they would go!) 

As soon as I got home I unburied it.  Fortunately it had only been that was 2 weeks and while I lost a few leaves, I'm hopeful it will bounce back.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! So glad you were able to catch that little tidbit. That's why we always go back and watch (or re-watch) the live videos with Cory, too. Sometimes he will just say one little sentence about something that's been troubling your tank for a while, and suddenly you have your answer. He really is a font of fishy wisdom!

• Like 1

I agree, @Alesha! I've found myself watching even the videos by Cory that are on topics that aren't, as a whole, applicable to me and my tanks. I pick up tidbits in them that DO apply. I've watched very few of the videos that I didn't pick up something from that does apply to me and mine. They're a GREAT resource!

@SWilson, I'm SO glad you were able to save the val. I hear you about that sort of thing. I was watching one of Cory's videos just a day or two ago. In it, he noted that stem plants should never be bundled in lead weights because they don't like to be bound together that like and will rot. I actually replayed that part of the video, thinking I must've misheard him. Nope. Explained why I always lost the stem plants I tried in the past. I followed the advice of a local LFS and bundled them with a lead weight and dropped them in the tank. They always rotted, and I couldn't figure out why. No more bundling of stem plants for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1