Ordering plants

ChadM

Are you worried about adding plants to a cycling tank? Or are you concerned that you won’t have time to put them in the tank right away?

I don’t think there’s any downside to putting plants in a cycling tank. As far as I know they’ll only help, and the plants themselves aren’t harmed by high ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Well, I’m sure there’s a level that would harm live plants, but I don’t think we get even close to that in the aquarium hobby. 😉

if you don’t have time to plant them right away, you can just stick them in a bucket of water.

• Like 1

If you have the tank set up and cycling, you can.put the plants in while cycling. If you don't have the tank up yet, the plants can go in a bucket of water or anything with water for a few days to a week. Or even if the tank is up and you can't get them planted right away just put them in the tank. I do it all the time, will get plants in and not able to plants them for several days. I'll have a couple of the plastic shoebox storage containers I'll throw the plants in with some water until I can look over the plants for hitchhikers and get them planted.

I was concerned about having the plants shipped too early. I will be cycling the tank with the plants in it from the beginning. I plan on doing this the day after Christmas so I was going to order the plants now. 

If I put them in a bucket of water should I treat the water first or is tap water ok?

well with the way usps is working right now, you more than likely wont get plants by xmas anyhow. if by some off chance xmas miracle happened , and they showed up early, drop them into a bucket of water for a few days until you are ready. tap water is fine for the plants.

I hope your plants arrive healthy! The biggest problem is time in transit. The Coop prepares their plants very well for shipment (mine took 8 days and were all fine), but a prior order with another vendor died because of a similar delay. When I trimmed my water sprite, I left it in a bucket of dechlorinated water for over a week by an east-facing patio door and it was fine, even on a cold floor and in cool water. Unfortunately,  the USPS has a delay warning on their website.