Bent Guppy Fry

RovingGinger

So far I have found 3 fry with bent spines, all bent basically up right after the dorsal fin. The first one I thought was mechanical damage as it got trapped under substrate but after I found two more with the same affliction I’m starting to wonder if it is a hereditary issue. 

They are mutt guppies I got from a local hobbyist in swap, and these fry are probably from the 3rd or 4th litter which I believe would have been either before I got them or only that blood line. I have added more mutt guppies from other sources but afaik haven’t gotten any fry as a result yet. For the most part they are pond raised with a variety diet of guppy food, fry food, brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc. 

8A6E4E28-679A-402F-B916-30777E297D70.jpeg.b3a038c06bb285031a954033ff060e07.jpeg

TB? Scoliosis? Hereditary? Dietary deficiency?

8A6E4E28-679A-402F-B916-30777E297D70.jpeg

336079F3-DB60-496B-BA51-11D070932792.jpeg

C3730915-FDCA-46D3-8C18-4CFE95803C03.jpeg

Edited by RovingGinger
More details. Apologies for sideways photos!

I've read that guppy fry benefit from good lighting while developing. Without sufficient light spinal development issues are apparently more likely. I see you have plants, so it can't be that bad, but I think I saw something like 10hrs? Maybe 12?

Edited by dublicious

Most of them grew up in nearly full MN summer sunlight so I don’t think lighting is the cause. 

I’d rather not cull since they look so happy and try so hard but if it’s not something potentially contagious I’ll probably just keep them separated. 

Edit: I found another one. At least 3/4 are female, possibly all 4. 

Edited by RovingGinger

It happens. I've heard it can be caused by diet, bad genes, and/or a plethora other things -- particularly if you're seeing a lot of them. I've had to "cull" one in the past couple months, but I'm watching it grow up happily in my son's tank rather than disposing. 

If you google "guppy bent spine" you get unpleasant results because the internet thinks any bent fish is fish TB.

3 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

If you google "guppy bent spine" you get unpleasant results because the internet thinks any bent fish is fish TB.

I've noticed this too. And every irregular poop is "internal parasites", pay no mind that it's a pregnant female about to give birth! 😄 

• 4 weeks later...

in my opinion it sounds like genetics for that fish if you just remove them or cull them it should get better the person before you may have left bent spined guppys in and they bred and they gave you the good ones. this is just what i think and seems most likely to me.

• 2 weeks later...

This happens when you start inbreeding a new genetic line. After 4-5 generations this should occur less unless you keep introducing new genes.

I don't know if bend spines will result in offspring also being deformed.

Its up to you really with what you want to do with them. Wether thats disposing them or keeping them.