room temp (cold water) 55g SA cichlid tank

Sanderguy777

I was on another thread, about breeding for profit, but I think I have decided to skip the "for profit" part and just let nature take its course. If I get fry, then great, otherwise, the tank will look good (only display tank, so that is the real goal at this point).

I have decided on A. Borelli (either 2 pairs, or a male and 3 or 5 females), a few (no idea how many I can have) gymnogeophagus Balzani (or more colorful, if I can find them), and some sort of dither fish (maybe Buenos Aires tetra, or Odessa barbs). 

At this point, I will be keeping the tank at room temp (the air gets down to 62ish in winter, and no more than 80 in the summer, so the water in the tank should stay above 65 and below 75. no heater. 

tank water: Gh=150ppm Kh=200-230 Ph~8.0/// tap water (based on the city water report) Tds is 350 with a range between 340-360. (Ppm) "Specific conductance" is 500 ranges between 480-520 (umhas/cm)

1) are there any other super colorful SA fish that would work with the ones I like (the gymnogeos, and apistos)?

2) any idea if the gymnogeos and apistos will kill each other during spawning (probably just breeding the apistos...)

3) what should the stocking numbers look like? 

Thanks. Sorry for changing my mind on a dime, it is SO difficult to find fish that I like and that don't need 8 million gallon tanks to keep LOL

Apistogramma borellii are an excellent choice for a room temperature aquarium. I have kept and bred them in a 65°F - 70°F aquarium and at that temperature I suspect they considered it very warm. I have heard they have been found thriving in the wild in 45°F water.

I haven't kept Buenos Aires tetras but you can tell by the name that they come from cooler waters (Buenos Aires being further South) so your temperature range will be perfect for them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Apistogramma borellii are an excellent choice for a room temperature aquarium. I have kept and bred them in a 65°F - 70°F aquarium and at that temperature I suspect they considered it very warm. I have heard they have been found thriving in the wild in 45°F water.

I haven't kept Buenos Aires tetras but you can tell by the name that they come from cooler waters (Buenos Aires being further South) so your temperature range will be perfect for them.

As @Danielsaid the Gymnogeophagus & A borelii come from cooler waters. With that being said I’d still keep a heater in the tank with a controller on it set to a  range of 68-72. This way if you decide to put Corys in this tank the water will be tolerable for them. 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

As @Danielsaid the Gymnogeophagus & A borelii come from cooler waters. With that being said I’d still keep a heater in the tank with a controller on it set to a  range of 68-72. This way if you decide to put Corys in this tank the water will be tolerable for them. 

So would that mean the tank minimum temp would fluctuate between 68 and 72? Or you would just set the heater thermostat to between 68 and 72 so the corys would be happy? I heard the Gymnogeos needed to go down to at least mid 60s to be healthy, something to do with their circadian rhythm, is that true?

How many of each fish should I get? 

• 2 years later...

South America has a diverse cast of biotopes, there are multiple species that can be kept unheated with relative ease, with some species handling 60F just fine.. Blanket statements like "cichlids like their water warm so like 80-82" should be taken with a grain of salt, this is more applicable to tropical species in the Amazon and other warmer territories.

But species found in argentina, brazil, and other semi-temperate zones can be kept without a heater if your house doesn't get super duper cold (below 60).