Jewel Cichlid babies

Robin

Three days ago baby Hemichromis exsul, Jewel Cichlid appeared! This is a 75g community tank. The parents are very protective. So far no bloodshed but only because isn't overstocked and most of the other fish are fast. The first day I put in some of the co-ops fry food I had and then I just started grinding up flake. Normally I would have had bbs for them but I had hatchery problems. I got that straightened out and fed baby brine shrimp this morning. Can anyone tell me if they are old enough to eat bbs? They are managing to eat something or they wouldn't have made it the last 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure since I've never bred this fish, but sometimes I look at the bellies of my fry and see if they're bright orange-pink. If so, I know that they've been munching on BBS. I also will park in front of the tank to see if I can spot any of the fry eating. Good luck with your new fish!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 1:36 PM, Robin said:

Hemichromis exsul

You know, we've never seen these in stores before. [I think] we only get the Hemichromis guttatus (judging by photos on fishbone.se). Seems like the stores just ask for jewel cichlids, and take whatever farms provide. Your species is really bright red! Can you share some photos?